Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/17 15:24
Hey there,
Got myself the iijmio Travel Sim(data only, 2 GB, 3 months) at a BIC store at Haneda Airport after the assistant recommended me the latter, being aware of the device i was intending to use. However I only get the "H" connection which corresponds to no service at all. I have been to 2 stores, in both they send me away after 30 minutes of trying to get it working. I have a REGULAR Samsung S7 from Europe which is not sim locked. I just happen to find out there is basically no carrier that offers the regular S7. It is the only explanation for me that it doesnt work. In the last 3 days I had this sim in my phone it worked approx. 2 minutes per day. I am actually startled that the store is not willing to take back the card since the service obviously does not work on my phone.
Please gimme any ideas you have....
by Robo95  

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/17 18:16
The Galaxy S7 is not listed on iijmio's list of supported devices, so it's totally normal that they are not giving you a refund.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/18 00:21
How I am supposed to know that when I am in the store ? Thats why I asked the shop assistant in the first place, he put the Sim card inside himself. Is there a SIM card at all that is compatible with my Samsung S7?
by Robo95 rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/18 00:32
I can't find any that lists the S7 as a supported device. You could get a pocket wifi instead.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/18 01:04
But how is that even possble? Its Samsungs flagship product...The technical details of the regular s7 and s7 egde seem to be identical and the s7 edge is listed at Big Globe. Anyone experienced with a data only sim card from BG? A mobile wifi router is too costly over a 6 month period. I simply can't believe there is no provider for the S7...

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/18 08:00
I just happen to find out there is basically no carrier that offers the regular S7.

The s7 is apparently not being offered in Japan due to lackluster s6 sales. For that reason, the model is unlikely to be officially supported by any carrier. Unofficially, it should work on most of the major carriers as the tech specs are supported.

It is the only explanation for me that it doesnt work. In the last 3 days I had this sim in my phone it worked approx. 2 minutes per day.

Official support doesn't really mean anything. Just that they tested it on a Japan model phone and it worked. But that is not a guarantee that even your same model will work, or that they will give you aftersales support.

The tech specs of the phone, and the fact that you can get it working intermittently suggest that there is some other issue here. It could be something with your specific hardware.

I am actually startled that the store is not willing to take back the card since the service obviously does not work on my phone.

Did the tech not set it up for you? They should have gotten it working before you left the desk? At this point I'm not sure there is anything you can do to get a refund as they have a clear no refunds policy listed on their site. Have you tried calling their english support line? Perhaps they can help you get it working.

03-5205-4999
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/18 13:31
Had approx. 8 people working on it in 2 stores in the last couple of days. They were over and over trying to do the same thing: mobile networks, delete apn, create a new one. When they tried the freetel sim I had a similar reception of this "H" signal but it was actually working very quickly when he started browsing. I doubt that this is a hardware issue since I have already used multiple different sim cards in europe with no problems and there is a connection and therefore no sim or geo lock. But what about my assumption that if the s7 edge was tested, the regular s7 is supposed to work too given there are identical from a technical perspective?

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/18 20:22
I had the same problem with my s6. I bought an international sim and could not get anything other than emergency calls.

My solution was to put the sim in a different phone and set a sim passcode. Then reinsert the sim in my s6 and enter the sim passcode.

I was told it was a Samsung software problem.

Is that a solution for you?

by Katie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/19 10:18
I doubt that this is a hardware issue since I have already used multiple different sim cards in europe with no problems and there is a connection and therefore no sim or geo lock.

That doesn't preclude a hardware issue (or software issue as Katie suggests).

But what about my assumption that if the s7 edge was tested, the regular s7 is supposed to work too given there are identical from a technical perspective?

Well like I said, that would imply that it would work, but it is no guarantee. Android builds can be country, manufacturer and model specific meaning there are lots of interactions that can come into play even between phones with nearly identical specs.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/19 15:27
@Katie
I will try that asap, I found it strange from the very beginning that on the sim card included passcode was nowhere to be entered when switching on the phone. But I suppose its just different over here...

Re: Samsung S7 doesn't work 2016/9/19 18:34
I thought it was a faulty phone or a faulty sim and had store staff do the apn thing, took it to an authorised repairer and went through Samsung customer service.

The phone worked perfectly with a local sim but would not function with an international sim until I did the pass code thing. It seemed too simple given how frustrating the whole saga was.

I really hope that you get to enjoy your S7 soon.
by Katie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread