Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Did I spot legitimate geisha in Tokyo? 2016/9/17 21:02
I'm visiting Tokyo, and today in Roppongi I saw this group sitting outside at about 5 PM on a terrace: about three Japanese business men (in nice suits, older than 50), 3 women who looked like geisha, and two other (older) women in modest but quite formal-looking kimono.

The women who looked like geisha to me were doing a fair bit of the talking. At one moment, one of them coughed a little bit, but modestly, behind her fan. I think I know enough of traditional Japanese kimono &c that I could say their dress and looks were quite refined (i.e. far from cheap or tacky) but not enough to say if this was the real deal.

How likely is it that I saw real geisha in these circumstances?
by Renee (guest)  

Re: Did I spot legitimate geisha in Tokyo? 2016/9/18 10:40
Tokyo has geisha too, but it just as easily could have been women dressed up for various reasons. If you took pictures, there are groups who could probably identify them by name if they are legitimate (although they tend to focus on Kyoto so I don't know how well they know the Tokyo districts). Onsen towns and places like Kanazawa have geisha too, its just that they tend to get overshadowed by the Kyoto geiko because they are the most well-known.

But yeah, could have been.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Did I spot legitimate geisha in Tokyo? 2017/3/7 22:59
Tokyo has six legitimate geisha districts, including one near Roppongi. You can always tell real geisha from their very smooth, rounded, immaculate hairstyles.
Some hostesses also wear kimono but their hair is likely to be more modern in shape. There are also fake geisha around - Japanese "companions" dressed in kimono that have nothing to do with the geisha tradition. For more information about geisha in Tokyo you can ask at www.sayuki.net. Sayuki lectures on Geisha Studies at Waseda University and is a geisha herself.
by Anna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I spot legitimate geisha in Tokyo? 2017/3/8 01:09
For more information about geisha in Tokyo you can ask at www.sayuki.net. Sayuki lectures on Geisha Studies at Waseda University and is a geisha herself.

Yeah.... Sayuki was kicked out of the geisha association for a number of offences, particularly her endless drive for self-promotion.
by Sora ni aru Pai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I spot legitimate geisha in Tokyo? 2017/3/8 17:25
Australian national Fiona Graham debuted as a trainee under the name Sayuki in the Asakusa district of Tokyo. She was, however, kicked out of Asakusa in 2011 for not following the rules laid out by her teachers and her elders.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8556540/First-eve...
https://web.archive.org/web/20110607225314/http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s...

I was reading about that on Monday.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Did I spot legitimate geisha in Tokyo? 2017/3/19 20:43
Outside? No they were not Geisha, at least I doubt it. There are a number of theater and arts students who play the role of Geishas in a variety of functions. This is in addition to companions, etc.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread