Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Too old to study in Japan? 2016/9/18 11:31
Hi, I want to study in Japan in few years if possible but not sure about the age issues and also have few questions.

1.If I go to Japan to study as mid-30s, is that too old and schools won't accept you?

2. What about Student Visa? Do they still give Student Visa to someone in mid30s?

3. How much would you need to study there for around 6 months?

4. Also is learning in 30s too old to learn a difficult language like Japanese?
by Jin Felix (guest)  

Re: Too old to study in Japan? 2016/9/18 11:50
1. No

2. No

3. Depends where you want to live and what kind of lifestyle you are willing to have. Tuition varies from school to school. As for rent, your options range from living in a hostel with other foreigners to renting your own apartment. I can't say what the low end in Tokyo would be because I haven't the will to experience that kind of living, but when I first landed in Japan I lived in a very very nice studio in Nakano, 10 minutes from Seibu Shinjuku by train, for 94,000 pm. Food, again, varies. If you cook yourself and shop to save you could eat enough to get by for 500 yen per day. Not a nice life though. On average I probably spend about 2000 per day.

You can begin to see how difficult this question is to answer. Life in Japan is just the same as whatever country you are from; it can be done cheap or it can be done expensive.

4. No
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Too old to study in Japan? 2016/9/18 11:53
Sorry I misread question 2. I thought you asked if there would be a problem getting a student visa. To be clear, there is no issue at all with studying in your mid-30s, there's a fair chance you won't even be the oldest in your school. People learn languages at all ages. No such thing as "too old", it's a myth, my grandfather began learning Russian at 65 and by the time he passed away 15 years later was an incredibly good speaker.

Re: Too old to study in Japan? 2016/9/20 12:01
I read somewhere that if you're over 30 years old and wants to study in Japan, they consider it more cautiously as they might think that you're trying to illegally immigrate there.
Is that true?

by Jin Felix (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Too old to study in Japan? 2016/9/20 22:43
No, it's not true. Because if they thought that over 30s coming to study were all illegal immigrants then they wouldn't allow students over that age. Period. Maybe they look at some applications more carefully than others, but there are a bunch of factors at play here, not just age. At the end of the day applications are still processed by humans so if they find something suspicious-looking then it is going to raise an eyebrow. But if you have nothing to hide then you have no reason to worry. Japan isn't a particularly difficult country to get a visa for provided you check the right boxes.

Re: Too old to study in Japan? 2016/9/21 01:19
i am 24, a nihongo student and an english teacher.

i have classmates with ages 30s - 50s.

i have students who are already in their 70s or 80s.

so you are still young to learn!
by brangelinanomore (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread