Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Perm res going home - not sure how long 2016/9/26 00:05
After living in Japan for nearly two decades, I'll be returning to my home country soon. My intent is to find a full-time job and stay there.

However, I have permanent residence in Japan and I would like to keep it as a back up. If I don't find suitable employment, I can always come back without the hassle of being sponsored, etc.

I have seen it mentioned that it's possible to put my status "on hold", allowing me to work in Canada without having to worry about taxes and such here while I'm gone (for up to five years). Is this true? Can I go back and be a full-time resident of Canada for several years while at the same time keeping my option to come back and resume where I left off anytime I want? I never would have guessed this could be done!

Are there any links to more information for this type of thing?

Thanks for your help!
by CanadaPierre  

Re: Perm res going home - not sure how long 2016/9/26 14:17
You must apply for a special re-entry permit before you leave, which is valid for 5 years(ie, you must return within 5 years).
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/point_3-4.html
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Perm res going home - not sure how long 2016/9/26 15:30
Thanks for the reply Tokyo Friend. I've already got the 5-year permit. I understand that I can travel for up to 5-years without losing my PR.

What I am skeptical about is the right to put permanent residence "on hold" and work abroad. If I can do it, great, but I find it hard to believe that one can become a perm resident of Japan and then become a non-resident to become a resident elsewhere but still preserve the right to come back anytime within 5-years and have residency reinstated just like that.

Essentially, I just want to know if I can go to Canada, get a job, work for say three years all the while paying taxes in Canada (and receive benefits as a full-time resident would) but not have to pay taxes or anything else in Japan the entire time but still retain the right to come back without losing permanent residence.
by CanadaPierre rate this post as useful

reply to this thread