Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation of allergies 2016/10/8 00:53
Hi there,

My boyfriend has nut and egg allergies and I was able to find printable Japanese/English cue cards to carry with us to Japan for the nut allergy. However, his egg allergy is a bit complicated in which he's allergic to whole eggs (like plain tamago) but he can still eat anything that is deepfried using eggwash or any baked goods (such as bread/cake) with eggs in it. How can I properly translate that on a cue card? I'm afraid that if we just tell the servers that he has an egg allergy, they will not be able to serve him anything since there are eggs in so many delicious Japanese foods!

Thanks!
by Vicky (guest)  

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/9 11:18
豆と卵アレルギーがあるので食べられません。
加熱した卵は食べられるのでパンとケーキは食べられます。
I have nuts and an egg allergies.
I can eat a heated egg so I can eat bread and cake.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/9 11:29
すみません。私(or彼)には食物アレルギーが有ります。
ナッツ全般と、生や半熟の卵はダメです。
also...
この料理(or メニュー)に、ナッツは入っていますか?
この料理(or メニュー)に、卵は入っていますか?
もし入っているなら、それは生ですか? それとも火を通していますか?
(copy to below then click speaker icon)
http://voicetext.jp/

Reading/Saying In JP :
Sumimasen, Watashi(or Kare) niwa Shoku-motu allergie ga arimasu.
Nuts zenpan to Nama ya Hanjyuku no Tamago wa dame desu.
- Sumimasen is "Excuse me".
- Watashi/私 means "I" = asking by yr boy friend
- Kare/彼 means "He" = asking by you instead yr boy friend
- dame/ダメ means "No" (cannot accept)
- Hanjyuku/半熟 means "soft‐boiled"

Kono Ryori(or menu) ni, Nuts wa Haitte imasuka?
Kono Ryori(or menu) ni, Nuts wa Haitte imasuka?
Moshi haitteirunara, sore wa nama desuka? soretomo hi wo tousite imasuka?
- Ryori/料理 means "food"
- Haitte imasuka? means "included?"
- hi wo tousite imasuka? means "cooked/heated" hi/火 means "fire".

Also related Q maybe help you.
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+150103
by Ealis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/9 12:14
Correction for Japanese Kanji reading :

ナッツ全般と、生や半熟の卵はダメです。
and
もし入っているなら、それは生ですか? それとも火を通していますか?

http://voicetext.jp/ couldn't read correct "生(nama)" as Kanji.
So using Kana(escape Kanji) best for input.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ナッツ全般と、ナマや半熟の卵はダメです。
もし入っているなら、それはナマですか? それとも火を通していますか?
If make a card use kanji "生" or "生(なま)" with ruby is best.
BC recent years low budget restaurant/convenient store staff are foreign workers a lot.
(other countries of Asian mainly)
by Ealis (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/9 16:24
Could you be a bit more specific about how "whole eggs" is not OK, but eggwash and eggs used in baked goods are OK? The first two posters made the distinction between being OK with cooked eggs but not OK with raw/soft coked eggs, but I am just worried that that might not be the distinction you are looking for...can you ask your boyfriend exactly what it is? Possibly simply the amount that is consumed at one meal?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/10 02:46
Thank you for the responses.

AK is right, his allergies are not so much the difference between raw and cooked eggs. We have been experimenting and we know for sure raw eggs are deadly for him. But at the same time, he can't have a cooked egg by itself either. We believe that once it's baked or deepfried, certain enzymes breakdown and he's able to eat that. Would it be possible to say something along the lines of "he's allergic to eggs but eggs in baked goods or deepfried goods are ok."?

Thank you again!
by Vicky (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/10 11:14
卵アレルギーがあります。
ただ、揚げ物のころもや、菓子・ケーキに使われている場合は、大丈夫です。
(I have an egg allergy.
However, I am OK in case egg is used as eggwash in breading for deep-frying or used in confectionery/cakes.)

But please do not rely on anonymous internet forum participants like us; for one, I still feel you might want to find out exactly what it is he has (I mean medical opinion), and that you will seek professional help somewhere for precise translation.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of allergies 2016/10/10 19:52
Vicky,

How does he explain his situation while in his home country? I'm sure he's aware that many cakes use eggs in raw form.

How about just asking which dishes contain eggs and then ask how they are prepared? Especially, if he's okay with baked eggs but not with boiled ones, the chefs may be confused, and I also wonder how he deals with grilled ones or frozen ones or dried ones.

Either way, Please give us the exact sentence that he prefers to use. Then some of us may be able to give you suggestions, and as mentioned, you should double-check the translation with a reliable third party.

Meanwhile, I agree to your original post that once you start telling restaurants you have egg allergy, the chefs tend to become super-sensitive and try to avoid all dishes that contain eggs, including the goodies.

My adult son is in a similar situation where he can eat eggs in most styles except for a few (such as the combination of eggs and dairy cream), so he simply stopped telling restaurants that he's allergic. If a dish is served and he senses that eggs are used, he will exchange that order with a friend's. It's much more simple and pleasant for him.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread