Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Which city/where best for souvenirs? 2016/10/8 14:59
Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo - which of the three is most affordable for souvenir shopping and gifts?
Or should we wait for the airport?
Im sure theres gong to be too many options!

Basically, which of the 3 cities is more expensive and should go with the other city instead?
by jolieqe  

Re: Which city/where best for souvenirs? 2016/10/8 17:05
Each will have expensive and cheap souvenir options; one is not more expensive than the others. Don't wait for the airport; there will only be a limited selection there. Buy what you want when you see it, or you might miss out!

Oriental Bazaar in Harajuku in Tokyo has a wide selection of souvenirs at good prices.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which city/where best for souvenirs? 2016/10/8 17:05
Forgot to mention: There will also be local souvenirs unique to each region/city, so you won't find those in the other cities.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which city/where best for souvenirs? 2016/10/8 19:31
You wont find a difference between those cities.

They are your regular well known cities and offer all the same tourist crap.

If you go somewhere else. You find local gifts more common to real Japan reflecting that said region.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Which city/where best for souvenirs? 2016/10/10 01:46
Most of the souvenirs I've come home with came from smaller towns are were handmade. If you are going to be in Kyoto though this is a great place to shop:

http://www.kyotohandicraftcenter.com/?lang=en
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Which city/where best for souvenirs? 2016/10/10 22:11
Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo - which of the three is most affordable for souvenir shopping and gifts?

Prices for most goods are pretty uniform across Japan, so if you are looking for something that you can find anywhere then it doesn't really matter where you buy it. However, each area has their own regional goods that they are particularly known for, which you probably won't be able to get in the other regions very easily or for the same prices.

Or should we wait for the airport?

There is actually a great selection of typical souvenirs at the airport malls in Japan at surprisingly reasonable prices. Good for getting last minute gifts, but I still prefer to buy things as I find them on my journeys.

Im sure theres gong to be too many options!

That's for sure!

They are your regular well known cities and offer all the same tourist crap.

If you go somewhere else. You find local gifts more common to real Japan reflecting that said region.

I can definitely feel that way if you stick to the touristy areas of the bigger cities, but Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka all have their own local specialties too. You may just have to keep a sharper eye out, since they can be hard to see among all the other things vying for your attention.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread