Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Old yen notes 2016/10/21 16:55
Hi, i have a little problem. My wife in good will bought a full package of 10,000 yen notes. As we figured out,they are old Shōtoku Taishi notes, we went to our national bank and they sayd it is not possible to exchange this money because they are old and out of use. They sayd us that they are not fake. The bank notes where newer used, packet together..What should i do with it? i want only the money back which we have payd for it..thank you for any suggestion
by sasa2711  

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/21 20:08
What is your problem, exactly? Those notes are still perfectly valid in Japan.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/21 20:35
still valid like i can still pay with them anywhere in japan? so my only problem is that i can not change them in sk
by sasa2711 rate this post as useful

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/21 20:39
Sorry, SK is slovak republic or Europe

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/21 21:07
They can be exchaged to current 10,000 Yen notes at any commercial banks in JP.
I don't think foreign money exchange shops will accept those.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/21 22:17
Legally, yes, you can use them to pay for things, although practically it may be better to change them first.

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/29 22:24
I searched thru google about 'Shotoku Taishi note'. First 3 suggestions is from BOJ (Bank of Japan).

If you want to know the validity and how to exchange notes, you can follow this link https://www.boj.or.jp/en/announcements/education/oshiete/money/c07.htm....

by stikiting rate this post as useful

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/29 22:44
Thank you for info. I have read all things what is written on bank of japan home page. The only problem is that i need to go to japan or someone who is traveling there. And than if that someone will to make it for me. The money is real, but there can be other issues and i dont want that someone get in trouble because of me

Re: Old yen notes 2016/10/29 23:07
Well, usually people buy yen when they plan to travel to Japan...

reply to this thread