Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

short-term internet for home use 2016/11/6 02:00
Hi,

I'm in Osaka for a month. I have a pocket wifi device for when i'm travelling and it's great for that purpose (500MB a day at LTE speeds).

However, the place I am staying at has no internet at all. For home use the pocket wifi is almost useless as after 500MB is used the speed drops to around 10kbps (officially 128kbps).

Anybody know of any alternatives for short-term home internet with reasonable data allowance, e.g. 2gb per day? I read about Wimax service but not sure if it is available for 1 month or if it has any throttling.

Thanks
by SZQ  

Re: short-term internet for home use 2016/11/6 17:13
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: short-term internet for home use 2016/11/7 00:14
Thanks for replying but it wasn't very helpful. I already have a Pocket Wifi as I said in my post.

I'm looking for something with better data allowance and no throttling. Speed isn't hugely important, anything that achieves over 1Mb/s is fine.
by SZQ rate this post as useful

Re: short-term internet for home use 2016/11/11 19:00
I think it's better to call the local ISP and find out what kind of no contract deals they could offer you so you don't have to worry about running out of data. Or you could buy a data hotspot and use that. And to secure your privacy in the foreign country it's better to use also free VPN network (you can find info about the best vpn for security here https://www.bestvpnrating.com/vpnrating/best-free-vpn-2016 ). As for me, I prefer to use ExpressVPN.
by KellyOn rate this post as useful

Re: short-term internet for home use 2016/11/11 20:22
Thanks for your suggestion.

I have ordered a WiMAX2+ Wifi from CDJapan. Unlimited but after 3GB in 3 days it is throttled to 4-5Mbps which is ok for me. Just a little worried about reception but they offer a refund (after a fee).

If that doesn't work then I'll give your suggestion a go.

Thanks

Re: short-term internet for home use 2016/12/2 18:19
Thought I would report back regarding the Wimax2+.

It has been excellent so far. Reception perfect everywhere I have been in Osaka so far. Battery life is good, lasts me all day (at least 7 hours usage). Speeds are fantastic and even after throttling it manages at least 500 Kbps which is mych better than the LTE devices after throttling.

I think Wimax coverage has been greatly improved this last year.

So I recommend people try this if they are staying here for more than a usual holiday, i.e. 1 month or more.

reply to this thread