Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renter's insurance 2016/11/13 08:41
Would someone explain how renter's insurance works in Japan, even a link helps? I would hate to ASSUME it works the same way, just because my native country has it that way.

I see apartments online that have 20,000‰~ for two years of insurance, yet I am not sure what that covers. My assumption is that this insurance covers any (major) damage to the apartment if my fault and does not cover for my property.

In my native country, renter's insurance is independent purchased from a company not associated with the apartment, and it covers my property (stolen, damaged) and any major damage such as from a fire.
by Taco Tim  

Re: Renter's insurance 2016/11/13 08:52
I found this: http://japaninfoswap.com/renting-an-apartment-in-japan/

Does anyone have any suggestions for companies that sell renter's insurance?
by Taco Tim rate this post as useful

Re: Renter's insurance 2016/11/13 09:50
I don't know a great deal about it but I was covered for earthquake and fire, etc. through it. I was also broken into once and I was covered for stolen property as well. In all the places I lived I had to have this cover which was always provided by the real estate agent which made it very easy.

I can't confirm if it is a legal requirement but it seems to me it is, and while you probably could look for an insurance company by yourself, you would save yourself a lot of hassle by just going with whatever the real estate agent provides.
by SDJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renter's insurance 2016/11/22 00:52
SDJ, Thank you for the advice!
by Taco Tim rate this post as useful

Re: Renter's insurance 2016/11/23 07:47
Often provided by a major rental insurance company to cover anything from skipped rent to damage you cause. In my experience it can be tricky (which is probably a little unusual), but if you are employed by a company that can verify your income, should be easier.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread