Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/18 05:48
I plan on travelling to Japan in January to marry my girlfriend of 2 years and apply for a Spouse visa so that I can stay with her. I understand that I need to get an affirmation from the British embassy and then take that along with an application form to the local city office in order to get married. I am however quite confused on the requirements to get a spouse visa afterwards. If anyone has been in my situation and can shed some light on all the documents needed it would be much appreciated. I would also like to know if doing all of this is possible on a tourist visa inside Japan with a 3 month time scale.
by Amonflame  

Re: UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/18 14:36
1, your birth certificate
2, prove that your single
3, copy of your family register.
can get them from your city office .
by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/21 00:23
Thank you,
But what will I need for the Spouse visa? and will it be possible to get one in roughly three months?
by Amonflame rate this post as useful

Re: UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/21 00:52
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/21 15:43
Congratulations! I married a Japanese national and I had similar questions what to bring to get married.

The best advice that I can give you is to first contact the City Hall where you intend to marry and obtain the list of documents that they would need and what needs to be translated. It should all the pretty standard, yet I have seen differences between City Halls.
Then to contact the UK embassy in Japan and ask them what you need to bring for them to provide you with the required document for the City Hall and for the spouse visa.

For the spouse Visa for an UK national, see here: http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/spouse-child.html

For example, in my case I had to provide a certified document of each country that I had lived in for the embassy to show that I was single. Obtaining the documents took time and getting them certified took also time.
And then the City Hall didn't accept a few of the documents in English and we had to provide a translation, which we funnily enough, could do ourselves. I do seem to remember that the City Hall kept all the documents, so bring several birth certificates :-)
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/21 18:09
just get those documents.
prove of single most be translated .
your birth certificate most be translated
family registar most be translated

if your wife can understand little english she can do the translation.
because of the hard english .. you need to explain to your wife the meanings .

once you get your marriage certificate you need to register your marriage with your embassy in japan then they will issue you a documents.

once you submit your documents do immigration .. within 3months your residence card will be ready.

by chike20 rate this post as useful

Re: UK citizen marrying Japan citizen spouse visa 2016/11/30 01:47
Thank you for all the replies! Much appreciated
by Amonflame rate this post as useful

reply to this thread