Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visual Design degree in Japan/UK/US? 2016/11/28 15:18
Hi, I just finished high school and am planning to go to college. i know I am late for applying college but my family fights over my future ever since my second year of high school and I don't really know what I want to study anymore and it feels humiliating to be asked by people around me about where/what I want to study and I don't know how to answer them. I've loved Japan since day 1 with all their animations and drawings, but I have come to recognize that Japan has so much more to offer! I've taken interest in Visual Communication Design (Graphic Design, Fontography, Photography, whatever you name it) but I don't know where to study it. My mother has always wanted to send me to study in U.S since part of her family is there and she doesn't want me to study alone. My brothers and father do not think it is a good idea to study there (because they've been through it and are not happy). An acquaintance I know said that I should do a university tour (in Japan or U.S) in order to consider where I want to study because each university has different styles of teaching. I was wondering where to study for this department:

- The reason my mother wants me to study in U.S is to save money and stay with her family (since I have dual citizenship but my other country does not allow dual citizenship so it will be hard when the time to pick my citizenship arrives), my brother has a hard time managing all his time with the required time for his part time job in able to achieve his American citizenship (since we were all living outside the country). I do not know the job prospects in America, but I heard there are internships offers before graduating (but probably the system has changed from 20 years back). If I go to the U.S, I will have to enter a CC for a year or two and transfer, but the situation my brother is in does not allow him to have financial aid until he completes his required part time job hours not to mention his studying hours is cut down.

- I can study in my own home country which is not a bad idea but they have less job prospects with Bachelor degrees, so I may have to take a Master's degree too.

- I think Japan is quite a good option for studying Arts (besides Europe, which is also an option) but job offers for foreigners seem dim if you're not offering for an Engineering/IT job, but I have seen some South East Asians working and living in Japan/Korea and they seem pretty well off to me. I have a certificate for JLPT N5 (can understand daily conversations of JLPT N4) but am planning to go to a language course while I search for universites.

- other options can be Britain/Europe, but I have an acquaintance living in France and she said the companies/people there are racist to asians. Sure I can study there, but I'm not sure about job offers. My parents require me to be able to make a living on my own from where I study and graduate.
by Aliena Amabel  

Re: Visual Design degree in Japan/UK/US? 2016/11/28 16:48
First of all...take a breath, and calm down......

Ok, so you like art. At least you have an interest clearly defined.
U.S., Europe and Japan, all are excellent options. My opinion is that an art degree from Europe or the U.S. could open the doors for jobs around the world since their design and aesthetic standards are more widely accepted, while a Japanese degree would mainly prepare you for the local market. Not a bad thing, though. In Japan, as in other developed nations, object aesthetics and visual media are highly regarded, so you could surely find a job here. Of course, that's assuming you come to master the language.

Stop letting your parents decide your future. Listen to their opinions, but don't feel obliged to do as they wish.

Like a said, all three are good options. They offer different perspectives on design and visual media, so at first I would recommend you to think of which design trends get more your attention (without thinking of anime and such). Then take a look at the curricula from universities in all three regions and see which one you honestly find the most interesting. And of course, you might want to take into account which lifestyle you think you'd feel most comfortable with, they are all very different.

Honestly speaking, if you feel an attraction for Japan and are really interested in this place beyond anime and video games, then coming here would be a great choice. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend you to go to Europe. That's also a great place!
by Aru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visual Design degree in Japan/UK/US? 2016/11/28 17:04
Thank you so much! Stress has been building inside me because my father wants me to pursue a degree I will like otherwise my mother wants the best for me but sometimes she's too naive. I will think about it, considering each country has its own advantages.
by Aliena Amabel rate this post as useful

Re: Visual Design degree in Japan/UK/US? 2016/11/29 06:16
If you want the most out of your education the best way is to evaluate the schools and their programs. Don't worry about geographic location until you've got a short list of 3-5 schools you think would offer you the best program and the best value for your money. Then pick the school & country you can afford.

Even if Japan is your end goal, you don't need to attend a Japanese university. You can go to school in the US, Europe, or your home country first, get your degree and then go to Japan.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visual Design degree in Japan/UK/US? 2016/12/2 11:38
A country that doesn't allow dual citizenship? Are you Singaporean by any chance?

Personally I think enrolling in the US or Europe for design and art is a safer choice. Unless you're prepared to stay in Japan after graduation for work or are planning to attend graduate school in another country afterwards, you're prob better off studying elsewhere bc Japanese undergrad degrees are pretty much only recognised in Japan.

I know of people who loved Japan life while studying but couldn't take the stress of working full-time, then they broke down and came back. They also had trouble finding a job with decent due to their Japanese degree. So you have to know yourself well before making this decision.
by EvilCinnamonRoll (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread