Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/13 17:15
Can anyone recommend places to buy new luggage in Osaka? I need a large one as my current one has split (about 12 years old and no idea what is a good price).

Also, how do I dispose of the old luggage in Osaka? Figured out the burnable, plastics etc finally :-) Can I have it collected, for a fee I presume?

Thanks
by SZQ  

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/14 12:52
I went into the duty free department store Llaox in Nanba area of Osaka about 2 weeks ago, and I saw great deals on wheeled luggages of various sizes. The prices were so good, I almost bought one even though I did not need one.
by Mei (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/14 13:16
Great! I'll check it out. Thank you.
by SZQ rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/14 14:04
Ask the place you buy the new luggage from if they'll take the old one... not every company will, but sometimes they do! If not, it might be difficult to deal with if you aren't a resident. You could also try asking your hotel.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/14 14:43
Thanks scarreddragon. Good idea, I didn't think of that.

If they don't then I think I can call the disposal people and arrange for them to pick up bulky items for a fee. I'm actually staying at a short-term apartment as I'll be here for a couple of months in total.

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/14 16:30
If you've got an address in Japan, you may be able to take it for free to the dump yourself too... that might not be feasible for you depending on where it is though, but at least in my city up to something like 100kg is free if you drop it off yourself.

Also, because this month is "o-souji", the major New Year cleaning time, a lot of cities have a special day at the end of the month (26th or 27th) where you can put larger items out on the curb for pick up for free, too. Calling someone to pick it up for a fee is probably the easiest option, but if you don't want to pay, you might want to ask around the local residents and see if you can put it out on the curb if there is a day coming up.

By the way, I don't know what kind of luggage you're looking for, but I travel a lot, and would have paid twice as much for my Samsonite Cosmolite and Firelite luggage. I couldn't rave enough about how great they are! Hard-sided so I don't have to worry about bad handling, SUPER light (I can lift the empty case with my pinky finger) so I can pack as much as I need without worrying about weight, and really easy to move around with. They are expensive, but worth the investment as they'll last a long time and have pretty good warranty. You can find good deals on previous years' colors and styles on rakuten and amazon.co.jp if you're interested. Just my 2 yen!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/14 22:40
Thank you so much. That's really helpful info.

I'll ask around as you suggested regarding the disposal. I have plenty of time but don't want to leave it to the last minute.

I agree about spending more for good quality. My current luggage has lasted me 12 years and was quite expensive at the time. Time to say goodbye now and enjoy the convenience of 4-wheels :-)

Thanks again

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/15 02:38
How about looking on line for an organization that will accept donations in your area so your luggage can be reused rather than throwing it away?
by sjvacc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/15 06:49
I bought a bigger version of the suitcase I had from Tokyu Hands. My hotel (Toyoko Inn) disposed of the old one for 300 yen.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/15 08:01
Leaving old cases in hotels is pretty common.

Buying new ones - many places, but simple generic ones you could check BicCamera.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/15 09:25

Can anyone recommend places to buy new luggage in Osaka?

Don Quijote ドン・キホーテ
http://www.donki.com/en/store/shop_list.php?pref=28
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to buy luggage and dispose of old one? 2016/12/15 13:08
Thanks for all the replies everyone, it's really appreciated. Will go shopping today.

Regarding donating the old one, I actually considered it but usually when donating the items have to be in reasonable condition. My current luggage is 12 years old, sides have split and the zippers have broken. It's also quite worn and dirty. on the outside.

reply to this thread