Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where should I live in Tokyo? 2016/12/16 02:45
Hi,

ILm wondering where I should live in Tokyo, where ILmoving soon to work.

ILm deciding between Meguro, Toshima, or Kita. Trying to live close to Namboku line. I will have to pay 250K yens to rent a flat in Meguro area (2DKL), however in Toshima and Kita I can find the same flats per 200K yens or less.

Are Toshima and Kita good areas to live in Tokyo, compared to Meguro?

Thanks,
by Padeiro (guest)  

Re: Where should I live in Tokyo? 2016/12/17 14:32
Tokyo's wards are quite vast in size and varied in character - it would be much more helpful to look at, and mention here, specific train or subway stations, which is how neighborhoods in Tokyo are organized and referred to.

As with anywhere else there's always a balance between size, apartment features, location (both distance from the nearest station and distance from work), and neighborhood amenities.

A lot of it is also personal - do you have children who would enjoy living next to a park? Do you like to eat out in good restaurants a few nights a week?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I live in Tokyo? 2016/12/18 09:34
Y250k in Mugero - you're paying for the location. You could find somewhere really nice for a lot less in a slightly different location. When I was looking for a replacesment 2DK or 2LDK I was targetting something in the Y50k to Y75k level.

What is your target commute time/destination station?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I live in Tokyo? 2016/12/18 15:10
The difference is mainly because of the resident types. Meguro-ku (especially around Naka-Meguro, Daikanyama, Ebisu) and Minato-ku are where many Western foreigners live. Hence why the area is a bit posh, has fancy streets and shops, international food supermarkets, English-speaking clinics, etc. Most rich expats live there.
Toshima-ku and Kita-ku are predominantly Japanese, with mostly elderly people, local neighbourhoods and charming old streets which haven't changed from the Showa era, traditional shops, etc.
So it's all about what surroundings you prefer.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I live in Tokyo? 2016/12/18 15:47
Hi,

The stations we are planning to live close to are
Kita - Oji or Oji-Kamiya stations
Toshima - Komagone station
Meguro - Meguro station, Komazawa-daigaku, Toritsudaigaku

If possible we are looking for a quiet area, close to metro/train station, commute time 30-40 minutes, Park close would be great, we enjoy going out for dinner, and not planning to have a car, so supermarket close would be great also.

We have a 5-years son. DoesnLt speak japanese, therefore in Meguro we would prefer to live close to Higashine Elementary School.
by Padeiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where should I live in Tokyo? 2016/12/18 19:51
First of all, which station do you tend to commute to when you say "commute time 30-40 minutes"?

And am I correct to assume that someone in your family is commuting to a Namboku Line station, and that the employer is paying for transportation? If not, you have to keep in mind that if you choose to commute from Toritsudaigaku or Komazawadaigaku, you need to pay for two transportation companies (Tokyo Metro and Tokyu).

With that part aside, you can save rent by looking for older apartments as opposed to newly built ones.

I'm also sure you're aware that children cannot go to elementary school until they reach the age of 6, and children learn language very quickly, say, in about a few months, as long as they get proper guidance.

As for your original question, Meguro-ku tends to have a more trendy image compared to Toshima-ku and Kita-ku, which is the reason that a lot of housing is more expensive. But it's just an image.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread