Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tower Knives & Whiskey 2016/12/16 18:25
Hello people, I'm planning to go to Osaka and Tokyo for an upcoming holiday, and would like to get 2 chef knives as gifts for family members as well as alcoholic beverages, but I don't have much experience on these 2 topics so I'd like some advice

I'd like to know, would 9018 yen for each knife be enough for a good quality knives, with engravings on them?

And also, other than Hibiki and Yamazaki, are there any shochu or whiskey beverages that are worth buying that can mainly only be found in Japan and are considered good for a budget of 8200yen per bottle?
by rakna21 (guest)  

Re: Tower Knives & Whiskey 2016/12/17 20:43
Nikka Whiskey is the other main distillery in Japan. They have distilleries in Yoichi and in Miyagi. You'll be able to find Single Malt Yoichi or Single Malt Miyagikyo or Pure Malt Taketsuru in many places for a reasonable price.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tower Knives & Whiskey 2016/12/18 02:15
Aritsugu, in Kyoto's Nishiki Market, may be worth the trip. Though very touristy, it has excellent cutlery. We have purchased at least 10 knives there over the years at about 10,000 yen each, as gifts and for personal use. Engraving with appropriate kanji is available at no cost. The service there is superb, with elegant gift wrapping, and they speak English.

In Japan, as well as the rest of the world, Japanese whisky is all the rage, and prices are through the roof for the in-demand bottles. I really love to sip Yamazaki 12, but, personally, true single malt scotch is a bargain compared to Japanese whiskys. I've all but given up on trying to find bargains. I suggest you read the long thread on "where to find Yamazaki" to get some clues.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Tower Knives & Whiskey 2016/12/18 02:19
I should add, however, that if you're set on buying Japanese whisky, you should be able to find some bargains, just not the famous brands.

Small "off the beaten path" grocers in quaint neighborhoods (like Kagurazaka) are where I've seen numerous whiskys. I just have never heard of these brands.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Tower Knives & Whiskey 2016/12/18 04:25
I must emphasize I wasn't talking about aged bottles; those are quite prohibitive in price and very difficult to find. I was referring to the regular bottles. I bought all of mine at the distillery in Yoichi, but I'm sure you'll find them at depato and liquor stores everywhere.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread