Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Canadian asking for Japanese citizenship? 2016/12/23 18:50
Recently, I saw three people, Canadian,British, and American, foreigners living in Japan showing deep interests in having Japanese citizenship.

If someone is coming from a third world country, it would somehow look normal if he asks for Japanese citizenship. But, seeing someone coming from a developed country as Canada, United Kingdom, and US asking for Japanese nationality sounds not clear to me.

I hope someone would give me any reasons that would make Canadians,British, and Americans ask for Japanese citizenship? is there any hidden benefits of getting a Japanese passport?
by WaiWai (guest)  

Re: Canadian asking for Japanese citizenship? 2016/12/23 20:20
The benefits aren`t hidden, but could be different for each person. In my case, I had lived in Japan longer than in all other countries combined; my children and grandchildren are Japanese; I wanted to vote and participate more fully; I expect to live here for the rest of my life; etc.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Canadian asking for Japanese citizenship? 2016/12/23 20:23
If you are a Japanese citizen, you are no longer dependent on the goodwill of the immigration bureau to let you stay. (No, permanent residency does not toally protect you.)
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Canadian asking for Japanese citizenship? 2016/12/24 08:09
I have no particular desire for a Japanese passport, but being able to live permanently in Japan is one of my longer term goals (i.e. to be able to live in the in the country once I finish working).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Canadian asking for Japanese citizenship? 2016/12/24 16:42
different strokes for different folks! for Americans it could be for tax purposes!
by jimbo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Canadian asking for Japanese citizenship? 2016/12/25 11:25
It's usually a combination of different factors, with the exact combination varying from person to person. Some advantages of Japanese citizenship include:

•The right to reside and return to Japan, no matter what. Even Permanent Residency status can be lost, but citizenship is forever.
•Your children will also be citizens, regardless of the status of their other parent.
•The right to vote, and to run for public office.
•A Japanese passport. While most developed countries' passports are overall equally useful for getting into other countries around the world, they can and do very alot when looking at any individual country (relevant examples here include Cuba, India, and China).
•Japan will fight for you. Hopefully you'll never need it, but the Japanese government really does go to work in getting its citizens abroad home safely when they wind up in bad situations.
•If you're American, you no longer have to worry about double taxation, nor will you have to report the exact contents of all your bank accounts to the US government.

On top of these objective advantages, there are less tactile reasons a person might want citizenship, such as feeling like you're making a real commitment to Japan, a show of loyalty that says you'll be here come hell or high water, or a desire to no longer be counted as a resident foreigner.

Or maybe you just want your legal name to be in Japanese script. ;)

P.S. - There's actually even more advantages listed here:

http://www.turning-japanese.info/2012/06/why-would-anybody-want-to-bec...
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

reply to this thread