Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/3 00:08
I plan a one day trip to Sun Messee Nichinan and Aoshima area. Need advise whether to travel by JR train with JR Pass or one day Miyazaki Bus Pass. Shall I start from Sun Messe then to Aoshima,
Thank you
by hktan  

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/3 03:19
The Umisachi-Yamasachi is nice, if it runs on your day. http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/english/train/umisachiyamasachi.jsp
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/3 05:45
Aoshima shrine is walking distance from Aoshima station. The Nichinan station is several kilometers from the Park, get a day bus pass.

http://www.miyakoh.co.jp/bus/visit_miyazaki_bus_pass/

The same is true for the Udo Shrine.

Good Luck, in planning your trip.

by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/3 06:37
Use buses. Sun Messe and Udo Jingu are not accessible by train.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/3 16:54
Dorsn't mean you have to go all the way from Miyazaki by bus, especially if you already have a JR Pass...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/3 20:07
To all, thanks for the advise. I will be staying 3 nights in Miyazaki from 5-8 April. A day trip to Takachiho and another day Aoshima & Sun Messe including Udo Jingu. I think the one day Miyazaki Bus Pass will be a better choice. Also hope to travel on the Limited Express Umisachi-Yamasachi train.
by hktan rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/4 02:12
I think Miyazaki is very overlooked. I went there after coming back to Kagoshima from Yakushima Island, and spent two night in Miyazaki. I wished I had at least another day. I did a day bus pass, and went to the Udo Shrine and Aoshima Island. I also would like to go to three other locations; Obi Castle remains, Sun Messe Nichinan, and the Saitobaru Burial Mounds. I would want to go in the spring to see the fields of Rapeseed and Cherry Blossoms. Here is a link:

http://travel-around-japan.com/k96-06-saitobaru-burial-mounds.html

From Miyasaki, I took a train to Nobeoka, and a bus from there to Takachiho. After Takachiho, I traveled up the eastern coast to Beppu. Takachiho is pretty far from Miyazaki, and I would not recommend doing it as a day trip. Besides, the Ryokan that I stayed at had a free shuttle bus that took us after dinner to the shrine, for the Yukagura Dancing demonstration.

I am actually torn as to when to go, because I also want to see the Kunimi-ga-oka "Sea of Clouds" effect that happens in the fall.

http://www.takachiho-shinsen.co.jp/english/sightseeing/

Sorry about rambling a bit. But I think that Takachiho should be a destination in itself, with a hotel/ryokan stay, and not a day trip from Miyazaki.

Good Luck, in planning your trip.

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/4 07:54
Thanks ebaychucky for the informative advise on Miyazaki and it's surrounding area. I will keep in mind the tips and looking forward to an awesome spring in Kyushu. My route would be Fukuoka-Beppu-Miyazaki-Kagoshima, two weeks free and easy travel.

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/4 14:24
So, you are traveling in the opposite direction that I did. I think you should go to Takachiho on the way to Miyazaki, and stay the night. I also think that you should include the Saitobaru burial mounds into one of the days in Miyazaki. If you decide to do the train, go to Obi castle, and then hit Aoshima Island, because both are accessable from the train. The bus pass is better for the Udo shrine and Sun Messe, which are very close to each other. I will also mention that I had a wonderful meal at a resteraunt in Aoshima. Everything was served in an open wicker basket.

Once again, good luck on your trip.
by ebaychucky311 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/4 14:45
Thanks for the tip. By the way which ryokan did you stay in Takachiho? I will be travelling through Kyushu with JR Pass and there are eight of us, all senior citizens except for one. Therefore accommodation close to public transport hubs like JR station or bus terminal is preferred.

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/5 02:20
All senior citizens, except for one. O.K.

You might want to not go to the Udo Shrine. Here is a link:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1023424-d1238711-r1929291...

I remember a lot of steps. I also remember a tunnel that I didn't see until I had walked up and over the top of the hill. It will cut down of some of the steps, but not all. This link to a visit has an image of the map:
http://jprail.com/destinations/kyushu-area/my-trip-to-udo-jingu-shrine...

It looks like that there is a "long way" around that will not have that many steps. I don't remember this even being a option when I went. I never picked up a map, and I probably should have.

As for Takachiho, I don't think that is a train station anymore, just a bus depot. I stayed at the Hana Ryokan Iwatoya, which is close to the Amano-Iwato Shrine (The shrine that has the cave that the sun goddess Amaterasu hid herself in. The Ryokan had one of the best meals I have ever had in Japan. I only stayed one night, and if I ever plan to go back, I would stay here again for 2-3 nights.

The Ryokan has a shuttle bus, that will pick you up at the bus depot. I ended up arriving mid morning, putting my luggage in a locker at the bus depot, and waking to the main shrine and seeing the gorge until mid afternoon. When I got back to the bus depot, I grabbed my luggage and took the regular bus to the Ryokan. I knew that the Ryokan had a shuttle bus, but I didn't think to call and have them pick me up.

Another interesting find in Takachiho was a center near the bus depot which was doing make-and-take crafts. I was there a few days before Golden Week, and the craft was to carve a Magnatama out of a soft stone like Onyx, and make a necklace by threading a leather cord through the eye of the Magnatama. I was running out of time, and didn't stay and carve my own.

I hope this additional information helps.

Re: One day trip from Miyazaki 2017/1/5 04:24
Technically there is no railway station at Takachiko. The railway line got destroyed in the 90s by a typhoon and never repaired due to high. It connected Takachiko to Nobeoka.

The current train station is a small heritage museum to that railway. And on various Sundays/weekends the run short trolley services up a small section of the line still intact near the station.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread