Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sophia University GPA? Where to live? 2017/1/6 00:50
Hey, I'm a Taiwanese student, who studies in the US for about 7 years, and going to apply for Sophia University grad school (International business). I'm wondering is there any GPA requirement for the program? Also, I heard that the school has the dorm, but it's a bit far. So is there any place to live that's closer than the dorm ? Thanks
by Manquez  

Re: Sophia University GPA? Where to live? 2017/1/11 01:06
Hi,
I have studied at Sophia, and all I can tell you is, check their site, all the requirements are written there in english too.
About the dorms, they have several of them. I suggest NOT choosing Soshigaya because even if it's the cheapest one, it means living in a jail and getting on super crowded trains every day.
I'd suggest looking into the other dorms though, my friends have had great experiences there. (I'm not certain you can go there as a grad student, check the faculty home page to be sure!)
My friend that is currently a grad student there is living in a shared apartment with some friends... That's the only other option, because Tokyo apartments are hella expensive, unless you are willing to live in a sharehouse (like Sakurahouse or oakhouse, there are several).
Hope this helps!
by Alya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sophia University GPA? Where to live? 2017/1/11 09:16
I was an exchange student in Sophia about 8 years ago. Back then the university had, and probably still has a very good relationship with DK House Warabi which is located close to Nishi-Kawaguchi station in Saitama, just in the border with Tokyo.

Yes, it's a bit far, the commute is of about 45 minutes to Yotsuya and you have to change trains twice, but these are some of the advantages that I think make it an option worth considering:

1. Easy to arrange before your arrival to Japan. You'll have a place to stay from day 1.
2. Lots of Sophia exchange and grad students stay there, so you'll make friends quickly and almost always have someone to hang out with.
3. In my opinion, facilities are excellent. Clean rooms with modern and comfortable furniture and bed. Huge and restaurant-like stainless steel common kitchen with dining area and a 50" TV. Lobby with basic gym equipment and area for doing yoga.
4. Utilities and internet are included, so no need to worry for extra fees.
5. Coin operated washing machines and dryers available on every floor.
6. Common showers with both individual cabins and sento style.
7. Managers come and go, but they always speak fluent english.
8. Not tied to long term contracts. Just need to let them know 1 month in advanced before moving out.

Some disadvantages:

1. Long commute to Sophia. Not so bad to Shinjuku (~20 min) and Shibuya (~30 min). Ikebukuro is a closer option.
2. About a 15 min. walk to the nearest station. So this makes commutes to Shinjuku and Shibuya not so short anymore.
3. There's a curfew. I think doors close at 11 pm. Ridiculous, but also common in other Sophia dormitories.
4. Troublesome to invite guests. They must register and can only hang around common areas such as the kitchen and dining room. They can't go to your room and absolutely can't stay the night or you get penalized.
5. Shared bathrooms and showers could be considered a bad point, but this is always common in share houses.

Like I said, I think it's a good option for the first couple of months or the first year of your stay. At 67k a month, for all you get, it is not so bad. Later on you can carefully evaluate all your options and move to a different place.
by Sabo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sophia University GPA? Where to live? 2017/1/14 21:46
Thx for replying, and I will be looking for some close place to live, cuz hell nah I dont wanna be one of those who get on the train early in the morning. Btw, I'm wondering how does the living price compare to LA? Cuz I just graduated from LA. Is it abt the same? or cheaper? Thanks
by Manquez rate this post as useful

reply to this thread