Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/7 18:14
What would you guys think would be a perfect item to give as souvenirs that perfectly captures the Japanese culture? Things beyond magnets, keychains, and the like... I'm travelling around Kyoto, Tokyo, Kanazawa, Nara, Okayama, Hiroshima...maybe Fukui, too. Food recos are fine, but I prefer them to be items that can be kept. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!
by japanbughasbit (guest)  

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/8 09:22
Hiroshima has the Peace Memorial Park. In it, there is a building right next to the bridge closest to the main street you'd be using to get there. In that building is a small shop that sells souvenirs. There is a line of paper products they sell (pens, notepads, etc.) that are made from recycled sets of 1000 paper cranes the schools across the country bring on their annual trips to the Children's Peace Monument just across the road from the building. It's both an ecological and touching memento from the city. With the story behind it, I'm sure it would be a very interesting souvenir from Hiroshima.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/8 11:44
@John B digs Japan: Wow! I didn't know that! That's the kind of souvenir I was after, something that has a nice story behind it. Thanks for the reco!
by japanbughasbit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/8 17:01
If you are looking for meaningful collectible souvenirs. Then you'll only find them when you get there. No good us suggesting anything.

I have some paper folded stars that the girl from the JR East service counter gave my kids on our first trip to japan. They must make/fold them in their spare time. But it was our first contact with people outside the airport, and the girls loved giving them. And my kids loved receiving them. They mean something due to the wonderful memories attached.

Also a small train toy from Mos Burger you get from a kids meal. MY kids and I still look at it now years later and remember our first night in Akihabara.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/9 05:19
I collected tenugui during my travels in Japan and am planning on hanging them in my house. They're nice as a souvenir to give people as they have many uses and so many different depictions on them, either general patterns or the famous sightseeing spots of the regions.
by chumbles rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/12 08:56
Ukiyoe prints, lacquerware items, and omamori come to mind.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/12 10:29
What would you guys think would be a perfect item to give as souvenirs that perfectly captures the Japanese culture?

Luckily, such an item does not exist.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/13 15:54
How about this one?

https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%E9%80%9A%E8%A1%8C%E6%89%8B%E5%BD%A2+%E7%94%BB%E5%83%8F&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8&fr=top_ga1_sa&x=wrt

These are called Tsu-ko-tegata which was used as the passport in the samurai age.

You can find this tegata at most sight seeing souvenir shops, though they are not official in this age.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/13 20:07
(Seriously) there's nothing wrong with the tacky end of souvenirs IMHO.

I have a fairly large collection of Gotochi Kittys. These are the little "charms" featuring the popular cute feline, but which are specific to different locations.

On various trips, I've always looked out for one (or two, or three) in each major town or region that we've visited. From Hokkaido, for example, I have Kitty as a snow crab, Kitty as sweetcorn, Kitty as a potato, etc. From Nigata, I have Kitty as a grain of rice, and a sake-related one. From Kanazawa, Kitty in a kimono made from the typical patterned fabric of the region whose name I can't remember. Kurokawa Kitty is in the onsen, and so on. You get them pretty much everywhere, they are small, and cost a few hundred yen each.

Looking at the whole collection reminds me of various trips, places, experiences, foods, onsens, etc. All the things that make Japan unique and special to me.

A few years ago, we had a child and now she's been to Japan with us three times. Before the first trip, I showed her my collection and gave it to her to take care of, and now we collect together and remember the amazing experiences we've shared.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/13 20:55
http://www.itoyoshi.net/kit_whaten.html will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/13 23:05
@Winter Visitor, I've seen hand towels with Kitty from each of the prefectures as well. I use them as sweat rags when it's hot and steamy outside to wipe my face. They're about 600 yen for each.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/14 01:21
I do something similar - I usually buy a phone strap with a local charm to hang into the ring binding of my travel journals. They tend to be very diverse from wooden ones from Takayama to small Buddhas from Kamakura or plastic figures from around Tokyo. I find temple stores a good source for these as well, and these might even bring you luck :)
Looks nice when you file the journal and you have a reminder even when it is closed...
by MAW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/14 04:08
Our daughter has a few, John, and we've used them for day visits to onsens.

Got to admit, though, I just love the Kitty phone charms above everything else. So cute, and you can fit so many into the spare spaces in your luggage ;0)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Souvenir from each of these places? 2017/1/14 09:36
@Winter Visitor

Ah crap! Now I got to collect those Gotochi Kittys when I go up. Those are cute. Small and from various locations.

I usually collect tacky looking souvenir magnets from cities/countries I've visited. They're usually conversation starters. But I only give those tacky ones who appreciate weird ones.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread