Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student visa to spouse visa 2017/1/20 19:39
Hello, I'm in a bit of a rough situation right now and would like to ask for advice. I'm currently living in japan on a student visa and have 2 years left until my graduation. However, a few months ago I was informed by my parents that my dad has been laid off and that it wouldn't be possible for them to pay the remaining tuition fees (they told me that can manage, with difficulty, to pay for 1 more year). This came out of nowhere and I was devastated about not being able to complete school, but at the same time I don't want to burden my parents because my dad is the only source of income for my family.

My Japanese boyfriend of 2.5 years is offering to apply for a spouse visa for me so I can stay in Japan with him and look for work (we were planning to get married in the first place). However, I was wondering if it's possible to apply for a spouse visa while I'm still on student visa, and under these circumstances, would the chances of immigration rejecting my spouse visa application be high? Or would it be better to go back to my country first and apply spouse visa from abroad? My boyfriend is a salaryman who's worked for 2 years and we've been living together for 1 year.

Thank you in advance, any advice would be appreciated.
by ycd (guest)  

Re: Student visa to spouse visa 2017/1/21 08:41
If your marriage is legitimate, then there is no reason for them to deny the visa.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa to spouse visa 2017/1/21 11:39
I agree with Dainichi Heater; if your marriage is genuine, AND particularly since your spouse-to-be is earning money, I would see no issue at all.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa to spouse visa 2017/1/21 19:16
Like others said, the change of status will most likely be fine. If anything the chances are better, because you have proof to have lived in Japan for a long time, which makes a genuine marriage more likely.

That being said, it seems like an awful waste to drop out of school with only 1 year left. Aren't you allowed to work up to 28 hours on your current visa to help pay for it? Maybe your boyfriend is willing to chip in? I would say you would both reap the benefits if you manage to get a diploma, since you will be making more money and it will be easier to find a job. Depends a bit what school you are talking about of course. University degree?
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa to spouse visa 2017/1/22 12:41
If you are a fulltime student, there is also an opption of scholarship.
My friend was the similar situation but she receive 150,000yen per month now.
http://ishijls.webnode.jp/english/ryugaku/
by U (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread