Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/25 08:30
Hi,
I will need to pay to a Japan resident's bank account (small sum) for private reasons.

I am not sure if it can be done while abroad, but as I will be in Japan in a few weeks I might as well do it there.

How do I do such a payment? Is it done at the post office? Do I need to open a bank account or can I just pay in cash? When can I expect the money to be visible on his account?
by peacross (guest)  

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/25 17:22
You can use your Japanese yen cash to pay it through an ATM, but the procedure and handling charge differs depending on the bank/ATM. Typically, if you finish the procedure before 3pm on a weekday, the money will be transferred on that day.

Is it a Japan Post Bank bank account? If so, go to any post office and press "English" on the ATM, or ask for assistance to a uniformed clerk.

If it's a different bank, post here again.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/28 07:42
Hi,
Well all the information I got is that I could do it through a Post office in Japan.

I thought it could be done by using IBAN and SWIFT numbers but it use to create fees as well in some cases. And for such a small sum of a few hundred yen it is more a of a loss affair for him...
by peacross (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/28 16:08
I'm not sure what you are afraid of, but if you refuse to give any information it makes things difficult... What bank? What type of account? If you don't know that, you'll have to ask because it's impossible to make any transfer without that information anyway.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/28 17:00
peacross,

You have correctly provided us all the info you can at the moment, because you shouldn't be posting specific account numbers on an internet forum. The problem is that you yourself haven't been given enough information from the account holder.

But let's say the account is that of a Japan Post Bank's. Does the account number consist of a set of a five-digit number and a seven-digit number (example: 12345-1234567)? If so, it's most likely a Japan Post Bank account, because their numbers are very unique.

On the other hand, if the account number is a set of a three-digit number and a seven-digit number (example: 123-1234567), then you need to ask your friend which bank it belongs to. Otherwise, no one would be able to tell which of the many banks the number belongs to, and you won't be able to make your transaction.

Back to the topic, if it is indeed a Japan Post Bank account, you can go to any post office, find the ATM there, send the money by using your cash, and the handling charge will be 80 yen per transaction (unless you're sending more than 50000 yen). You can also send the money through a real person at a post office counter, and then the handling charge will be 130 yen.

Hope this answers your question.

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/28 19:05
Hi,
Sorry if I made any of you frustrated for the lack of information.

As I am not familiar with using payment by bank or post in Japan, my intent was merely to learn how to make bank transfers, if I needed an account myself etc. Which have been properly answered now.

Sorry for any confusion.

I will ask of the full information from the reciever, none that I will post here.

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/29 02:00
Just get the full account info likewhat bank, branch, branch code, account number and the name,in japanese writing if possible.
Then it just go to the appropriate bank counter to do the payment transaction.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/29 06:47
This cant be done in a Post office as well? Does it have to be the correct bank counter?

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/29 08:48
you just specify the bank name which receives your money. it is enough to get a correct answer.
actually, you can't send CASH money from post offices to other banks, if you don't have a post bank account.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/1/29 13:10
As Ken said, just ask your friend what bank it is. If it's not Japan Post Bank (which is called Yuucho Ginko in Japanese), get back to us.

By the way, there are many types of ATMs that allow you to send money to accounts of different banks, but it's best to go to specific ATMs to save your handling charge. Again, if it's a Japan Post Bank account, you can go to any post office and the handling charge will be the same.

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/2/4 00:53
Hi again,
I asked about and he will send a pre-filled in transfer form 振込用紙 which I should hand in to the Post office 郵便局の窓口
when arriving in Japan.

It will be sent from Kagoshima prefecture, anyone know how fast shipping is in Japan?

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/2/4 17:32
It will be sent from Kagoshima prefecture, anyone know how fast shipping is in Japan?

I don't recall reading which country you are in, but you can pick up the same form at any post office counter in Japan anyway. Just say you want to do "furikomi".

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/2/5 03:01
Oh, no, he will send a pre-filled form with the bank account already written, to my hotel in Japan. But as I will not be staying so many days at each hotel, I was simply wondering how fast mail is shipped in Japan.

Re: Payment to bank account Japan 2017/2/5 11:51
Oh. Ordinary postal mail usually arrives the next day it is sent, unless the destination is some place very inconvenient such as a distant small island. The sender can also choose to send by takuhaibin or other express sending procedures to make sure it arrives on the next day, or even the same day if it's within the same region such as the Kanto Region.

Note that the least postage the sender is paying is 82 yen, which is more than you're paying for the least transfer handling charge.

reply to this thread