Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/5 14:42
Hi guys

I'll be travelling to Japan around Christmas this year. I have been to Japan quite a few times in the last few years and have made some good friends.

This time they have invited me to stay with them while I am in Japan. So i thought i would use the money I have saved for the Hotel to get them both a Christmas present instead.

I think i will get them both watches (1 guy, 1 girl). Both early-mid 20's.

- My question is what watch brands are popular in Japan?
- Are Swiss watches more desirable than Japanese watches? E.g. Tissot vs Seiko
- Do girls value fashion brands (Gucci, Calvin Klein, Burberry etc) over watchmakers (Tissot, Longines etc)?

My initial thoughts were a Tag Heuer or Tissot for the guy and perhaps a Gucci or similar for the girl..

Any advice much appreciated, Thanks!
by mayes (guest)  

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/6 03:12
Are they a couple? Perhaps a matching (his and hers) set of watches are something they don't own. I recommend a traditional watch maker brand (not Gucci).
by Nora Neko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/6 08:13
yes they are a couple!

by mayes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/6 12:32
How much people spend on watches vary widely from one person to another...unless you know them very well (and also know what watches they are wearing now) I wouldn't really go for watches as gifts.
by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/6 14:03
I think matching watches are actually a good idea. If there is a famous watchmaker in your country, all the better!
by krr (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/6 15:47
Keep in mind that something excessively expensive can become a burden to the receivers. For example, I'm a middle-class Japanese resident in my 50s, and I can't recall anyone giving me anything worth more than 50,000 yen apart from my closest family members.

But I do think that a watches would be interesting, as long as they're not too expensive. Japanese makers are popular too, but if you're getting them as gifts from abroad, non-Japanese brands would seem better in the sense that they're more exotic. Try to find something that truly looks good and can be worn in many occasions including casual occasions, as opposed to relying on the brand name alone. A traveler friend of mine used to enjoy buying low-priced Swatches at airports she goes to.

Give them something good-looking for the reasonable price, and then give a helping hand around the house.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/7 02:09
I would suggest bringing wine or whiskey, but if they are early 20's they might not be into that (yet)

A watch though is a very personal item, just like jewelry. I wouldn't do it. Why not book a nice restaurant and treat them to dinner and drinks? Also bring small gifts from your country.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/8 18:46
Interestingly, during my last visit to Japan in November and December I noticed that no one was wearing watches?...just something I observed when on trains etc., then I noticed my friend did not wear a watch and when I asked her why...the answer was obvious...everyone and I mean 'everyone' are constantly looking at their phones!...and of course the time is displayed there. Perhaps something 'unique' as a 'house gift' from you home town would be more appreciated. Just an observation.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/8 22:14
I do agree that many people stopped wearing watches because of their mobile phones. I'm one of them. (Just curious, but isn't it the same in other countries??) But that's why they are more appropriate as gifts. You wouldn't buy one by yourself any more.

But I also don't deny the idea that watches can be too personal. And since you're going to stay at their home, an expensive food item for the dinner table might be more suitable for the occasion.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Watches as gifts for Japanese friends 2017/2/14 09:49
Maybe something your country is known for.... nice china or crystal, can be cups, a nice serving dish, two drinking glasses.... if they are into art you can also find nice gifts at museums in your home country.... just food for thought ;-)
by Dutch Ann rate this post as useful

reply to this thread