Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

moving to Japan as a game developer? 2017/2/13 04:09
Hello!
So I was thinking of moving to Japan at some point in the next 2 years, and I was curious as to what sort of visa I would need (or not need I guess?)

Lets say I'm currently a solo Indie game developer who produces my own games and sells them online, what kind of visa would i need to enter Japan? I currently don't sell games in the Japanese region on the website I sell the games on however I would like to maybe do so in the future. What kind of visa options would be available to me? If i would need one at all.

Thanks for any help!
by Skye (guest)  

Re: moving to Japan as a game developer? 2017/2/13 14:58
Yes you absolutely need a visa. It doesn't matter whether you are moving to Japan to start a company, work as an English teacher, or be someone's wife, you need a visa.

Google "investor visa". From what I understand in a nutshell you will need a business premises (not your home), and you will need to employ two locals. Of course they are also going to want you to convince them that your business won't fail. You'll need money, and it won't be a trivial amount. I don't know how much exactly or whether or not it's situation dependent, but it's called an investor visa for a reason. You'll also need a business plan.

Maybe there's another way of doing this that I don't know of but I've toyed with the idea of starting a business in the past and the investor visa was what everyone suggested I look into.

Good luck
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: moving to Japan as a game developer? 2017/2/14 09:00
They changed the investor visa (to business manager) so some of that advice isn't quite correct, but it is close enough. (and there is a way to use your house to satisfy the physical premises). I've been through the process and there was a useful thread on jref.com from someone with a similar question.

Basically, plan on needing about JPY6M to get established (USD50k as a minimum), and realistically up to JPY10M depending on how good or bad at doing a start-up you are.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread