Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Writing letter to Japanese Host family 2017/2/13 20:51
So, I'll be an exchange student soon and I need to write a short letter to my host family but my Japanese is not that good... So here's what I've written so far. Can someone please check if this makes any sense :') And I would appreciate tips on how to improve my Japanese.

(family name)けのみなさま
Hello, nice to meet you。
はじめまして、おせわになるこうかんりゅうがくせい(my name)です。どもありがとうございます! Thank you for taking me to your family!
あうのをとてもたのしみにしています。
すみませんがわたしの日本語はあまりじょうずではありませんから。日本語をもっとべんきょうしたいです。私は日本語のべんきょ、がんばりますよ!! I will do my best to learn Japanese!!
私のメールアドレスは (my mail) です。メールをおくってください
どうぞよろしくおねがいします。

Is this OK?

Also how do I say ''It's cold and there is a lot of snow'' in Japanese?
by mmmboii (guest)  

Re: Writing letter to Japanese Host family 2017/2/14 14:28
Obviously not 100% correct, but it looks plenty intelligible and polite/sweet to me. :) I'm sure a native speaker will be along before long to offer a more correct version, but I think your original will transmit your information and feelings just fine.

As for learning Japanese tips:
•Keep your ears open: try to pick up and use phrases you hear a lot.
•Keep your eyes open: try and see how people are reacting to what you say; Japanese people tend to be such generous conversationalists that they'll rarely tell you when they're having a hard time understanding you.
•Do everything you can to not get discouraged: everyone makes loads of mistakes all the time; you should too.

I hope you have a fantastic time.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Writing letter to Japanese Host family 2017/2/14 19:03
I believe your letter is nice and friendly, well written :) Of course it shows that it was written by a student of the Japanese language, but this also helps the host family to gauge the level of your language skill when you meet, so it is fine as it is.

I would just suggest a few corrections...

3rd line: it should be: どうもありがとうございます!not ども.

6th line:
You don't need the "から" at the end. That way it just says "Excuse me but my Japanese is not very good."

Or if you want to continue on to say "Because my Japanese is not very good, I want to learn Japanese..." then a better conjunction would be "ので." But then you would need to connect the two sentences.
So it should be either:
すみませんがわたしの日本語はあまりじょうずではありません。日本語をもっとべんきょうしたいです。
or:
すみませんがわたしの日本語はあまりじょうずではありませんので、日本語をもっとべんきょうしたいです。

When you have learned the use of "(r)u form" or dictionary form/plain form when connecting sentences/clauses:
すみませんがわたしの日本語はあまりじょうずではないので、日本語をもっとべんきょうしたいです。
Note the "ない" used instead of "ありませn" before ので in the first clause :)

7th line: it should be 日本語のべんきょう、not べんきょ.
I might suggest:私は日本語のべんきょう、がんばります!leaving out the よ at the end, as it might sound too emphatic in this case :)

8th line: I might say: よかったら、メールをおくってください, adding "if it suits you/if it is OK with you" (please send me an email) to be more polite :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Writing letter to Japanese Host family 2017/2/14 20:58
Thank you for your help and the learning tips!! I think my letter is now ready :)
by mmmboii (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Writing letter to Japanese Host family 2017/2/14 22:23
"メールをおくってください" is not necessary, and could even be perceived as pushy (it would certainly be if you were Japanese). There should be no reason to tell them explicitly that you are expecting an e-mail from them, the fact that you gave them your address i enough. And even then, you would probably want to prefer something like "メールをまっています".
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread