Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Steel cut oats? 2017/2/14 06:23
Where can I get cheap steel cut oats? I've only seen them at National Azabu but they were crazy overpriced (900 yen for 800 grams). I am looking for around 50 yen per 100 grams.

What about rolled oats? I saw these for 2000yen for 4.5kg which isn't bad but still really expensive compared to America.
by Oats (guest)  

Re: Steel cut oats? 2017/2/14 13:31
It is expensive but in Japan It is normal price
by Art and Art rate this post as useful

Re: Steel cut oats? 2017/2/14 13:50
If you've got a Costco near you, they often carry Quaker Oats brand of "old-fashioned" rolled oats for a good price. It's probably as good a deal as you're going to find here.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Steel cut oats? 2017/2/14 14:15
These Nisshoku one's (rolled) are the only ones I've ever seen in a local grocery store. Usually around \400 for 300g.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A8%E3%83%93%E3%82%B9-%E6%97%A5%E9%A3%9...

Oats are not exactly standard Japanese food; you can't expect to get them at the same price you do in countries where they are commonly eaten.
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

Re: Steel cut oats? 2017/2/15 08:52
If rolled oats are 2000‰~ for 4.5KG then steel cut should be cheaper. Steel cut takes less machinery / is cheaper to produce than rolled.
by vvvvvvvvvvvvv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Steel cut oats? 2017/2/15 09:24
I very much doubt production cost is a big factor. The price is what it needs to be to justify the supply chain and shelf time given that it's a low volume niche product. And if steel cut is even lower volume than rolled, it's going to be pricier.
by gfoulk rate this post as useful

Re: Steel cut oats? 2017/2/17 10:22
Sometimes I find them in Kaldi. They're a bit pricey, but I used to make them with my rice cooker as my breakfast.
by Miko (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread