Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Currency 2017/2/15 17:58
I have a query about large currency exchange and bank system in Japan

I would be moving to Japan (Nagoya) in March for a 1-year student visa.I am worried about how to carry my money into Japan.I would be moving from India to Japan.Since I would stay 1 whole year I will have to carry up to 1000000 yen for my accommodation alone.Last time I visited Japan in 2015 , I exchanged SGD to JPY at Kyoto Station and the rate I got was very low at 1SGD - 70 JPY or less, but when I had exchnaged in Singapore I got 1 SGD - 80+ yen before my travel.

I am worried if I exchange a large sum of money in Japan into JPY I would be at a big loss.Please advise me best option to avoid this issue.Should I carry USD only , .for better rates if need to be converted into JPY.Are these places or banks that can help me to convert without commission like we have in Singapore.

As a student what is the best bank for foreigners to hold an account with?Banks that are easy to use online and transfer money into from abroad.

Would really appreciate if someone could help me.Thank you.
by dave chinwan (guest)  

Re: Currency 2017/2/15 19:05
There are ALWAYS exchange fees when you exchange currency, and the hunt for the lowest possible fees is usually a futile exercise. Just find something you are comfortable with. In any case, do not exchange currency twice (e.g., SGD to USD to JPY) if you can avoid it, because you'll pay twice the fees.

Banks, like airlines, are basically all the same and only differ in small details. If you can't read Japanese, Shinsei Bank has good English service.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Currency 2017/2/16 08:16
You could use an international transfer service rather than exchanging cash.

For Shinsei Bank be aware that you need a cell phone number (physical, not IP like a skype number), and to get one of those you need residency (which you should have on your student visa) and a credit card (to pay for the contract plan), then a MyNumber card to allow for international transfers to your account. After all of that you can send money to yourself.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread