Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Picture of asano naganoris gravestone 2017/2/17 23:02
I am currently doing a chushingura themed backpiece, and one of the ideas we had planned was doing asano naganoris gravestone. And while there are many photos of his gravestone I haven't found one where you can clearly see the inscription on it. Therefore I am wondering if anyone out there has a good photo where you can see the inscription?

Thank you!
by Elias (guest)  

Re: Picture of asano naganoris gravestone 2017/2/19 18:40
Hello.
I have a photo which I took myself during my trip to Tokyo last April. The inscription of my photo is a little clearer than this (http://copperdentalcl4181.blog.fc2.com/img/DSC_8468.jpg/).
I tried to read the letters, but I cannot read a few letters (indicated with ○) because of weathering or my ignorance.
Here are the letters.

(From right to left)

The right line: the year of his death.
[lunisolar calendar]
In the 14th year of Genroku era...

元禄十四年○○

The central line:
his dharma name.
[Impossible to translate].

冷光院殿前小府朝散太夫吹毛玄利大居士 神儀

The left line:
the month and the day of his death.
(March 14 ) [lunisolar calendar]
三月十四日○

I don't know what the word backpiece means, but anyway I hope this will help you.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Picture of asano naganoris gravestone 2017/2/19 19:20
I have just found a photo which more clearly shows the right and the left lines.
http://chushingura.biz/gisinews02/news066.htm
So, I correct my reading as follows:

In the 14th year of Genroku era..., year of the snake
元禄十四年巳歳

The left line: the month and the day of his death. (March 14 ) [lunisolar calendar]
三月十四日

This letter 烏 has a lot of meanings. In this context, I suppose this means an exclamation "Alas", the same usage of another kanji 鳴.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread