Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 35

1 2
next

3G phones compatible in Europe/Japan? 2005/4/3 08:16
I have heard that a normal GSM from another country does not work in Japan. However you can buy mobile phones in Japan who works in Europe as in Japan as well. It would be the 3g (3 generation)phones like Nokia 6630 and 6650. Can anyone confirm this and tell me how the prices of these phones (or other Nokia phones in the same situation)in Japan are aproximaly. As Japan is much further advanced in technolegy i would like to buy a model that is already outdated in Japan but new (and very expencif) in Europe. Alse some information where to buy such phones in Tokyo. I also read that there is a lock on phones in Japan, is this also on 3G phones and will my sim card of Europe fit in those phones? I am coming to Japan on 6 april. Thank ou very much for your advice.
by guy  

. 2005/4/4 06:36
I have heard that a normal GSM from another country does not work in
Japan. However you can buy mobile phones in Japan who works in Europe as
in Japan as well.

If you don't mind costs, yes.

It would be the 3g (3 generation)phones like Nokia 6630 and 6650. Can
anyone confirm this and tell me how the prices of these phones (or other
Nokia phones in the same situation)in Japan are aproximaly.

Nokia 6650 is about 63,000 yen at Nokia shops.
Nokia 7600 Japanese edition is about 47,000 yen.
Nokia 6630 Japanese edition is not yet available in Japan. I guess it
will probably be 70,000 - 80,000 yen.

These are the only SIM-free W-CDMA phones officially available in Japan (except imports).

As Japan is much further advanced in technolegy i would like to buy a
model that is already outdated in Japan but new (and very expencif) in
Europe. Alse some information where to buy such phones in Tokyo. I also
read that there is a lock on phones in Japan, is this also on 3G phones
and will my sim card of Europe fit in those phones? I am coming to Japan
on 6 april. Thank ou very much for your advice.

Unfortunately, phone models in Japan that you may want are all locked.
In addition, you have to make a contract to buy a phone, which may be difficult for a non resident.

See also:
http://euc.jp/misc/cellphones.en.html
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Getting there. 2005/4/13 04:06
Handsets in europe is slowly catching up with Japan thanks to Vodafone which has a network in Vodafone (aka J-phone).

Sharp 902 & Sony Ericsson V800 are two good example of Japanese phone in Europe.

There is no real point in buying Japanese phones in Japan as they either use completely different technology or their 3G phones are locked to the network. Japan is not really know for its ''cheap'' mobile phone market, u be better off getting one in Europe.
by William rate this post as useful

. 2005/4/13 05:12
Sharp 902 & Sony Ericsson V800 are two good example of Japanese phone in Europe.

Japanese users think they are European phones in Japan. :-)

In fact, they are European phones rather than Japanese phones. Their operation is very different from that of conventional Sharp and Sony Ericsson phones in Japan.
In particular, 802SE(V800)'s operation is very similar to Sony Ericsson GSM phones.

Update? 2006/3/16 00:57

meringue4, from your answers you seem to be an expert on Japanese vs. European mobile phones. I'm going to Japan this June and wanted to buy a top 3G cell phone (maybe the new Sharp?) while there. However, is it still impossible to find unlocked 3G phones? I'm more interested in the outstanding features rather than the price. Any advice?
by Gaijin rate this post as useful

Unlocking 2006/3/21 08:03
It seems that the following can be unlocked:

Vodafone 3G: 802SE, 702MO, 702sMO

They are equivalent to the following:
Vodafone 3G 802SE = Sony-Ericsson V800
Vodafone 3G 702MO = Motorola V980
Vodafone 3G 702sMO = Motorola C980
by Sandy rate this post as useful

unlock your Vodafone 2006/6/30 11:25
by bongski805 rate this post as useful

Using an european mobile in Japan 2006/7/3 17:37
Hi,
I'm a Nokia user, having an old model, I think it's 3310, I loved it :)
I'd like to buy a new Nokia HERE in Italy that works in both Italy and Japan.
-Is it enough to have a triband to have it work in Japan?
-Do I have to make a new SIM for Japanese use only (but using the same mobile) ?
-wich models do you suggest? (well... even if it's not Nokia...)
by Ricky rate this post as useful

Buying mobile phones in Japan 2006/8/3 16:28
Hi. I am going to Japan in a month (Sept. 9) and I want a Samsung D500 mobile phone. Can I just buy it in Japan and insert my Australian Optus SIM card and it work? Also, how much is the Samsung D500 is Japan? I am going to Ise city. Is there in Japanese electronic stores that have websites(in English would be helpful)
by James rate this post as useful

To Ricky 2006/8/4 08:00
-Is it enough to have a triband to have it work in Japan?

No. GSM is not deployed in Japan. You need a 3G phone.

-Do I have to make a new SIM for Japanese use only (but using the same mobile) ?

If your operator offers roaming service in Japan, you don't.

-wich models do you suggest? (well... even if it's not Nokia...)

Any Nokia 3G should work.

To James 2006/8/4 08:22
Hi. I am going to Japan in a month (Sept. 9) and I want a Samsung D500
mobile phone. Can I just buy it in Japan and insert my Australian Optus
SIM card and it work? Also, how much is the Samsung D500 is Japan?

That's not a good idea. Samsung SGH-D500 is a GSM phone and cannot be
used in Japan. Thus, even if it is sold, it is limited only in some
tourist shops. In addition, the fact that it cannot be used in Japan
means that it's not discounted with subscription like "domestic" phones.
FYI, the price in the shop below is as high as 56500 yen (about AU$645).
http://www.cell-quest.com/item/samsungD500.html

3G phone works 2006/8/7 00:00
I am browsing Internet and posting this answer with a Samsung Z560, but any 3G should work. 3G coverage is better than I expected. I seldom was with no signal so far (I am in Hokkaido right now).
Of course voce calls are also to problem (costs left aside!)
In Tokyo (and maybe other places) you even have HDSPA working.
Adopt saving tactics when roaming!

Sleepy
by Sleepy rate this post as useful

GSM PHones 2006/8/11 16:59
Well in Akihabara you might be able to find a used GSM phone (like that samsung one you want) but the likelyness of it being cheap is low,
Also Sim and FOMA (Docomo) cards are the same size but there is no guarntee that it will work in your country. For instance I bought a Docomo D902i while in Japan, it supposedly will not work when I go back home. My girlfriend had to settle for a Foma World phone (cant remember what model) but it will work overseas and possibly will work with a SIM swap.
Little note without immigration papers and not being a Japanese Citizen it is impossible to get a phone and service in Japan. I had to get my girlfriend to sign up for another phone so I could get mine. Also It is stupid expensive for air time here.
by Collin rate this post as useful

. 2006/8/11 17:34
I have actually got 2 phones for sale, which work in both Japan and any other 3G or GSM countries.

They're Made in Japan but they run the overseas Vodafone Firmware and are fully SIM UNLOCKED (and are completely stable). You can go to Japan and use it obviously.

Its called SHARP 903SH, mine are White so they're a Japan Only Colour, it came out very late last year but I bought mine around March 2006. Unfortunately the SHARP models after this model cannot be SIM UNLOCKED.

3.2 Megapixels Camera, 2X Optical Zoom. Best camera quality, check the reviews.
320x240 pixels VGA Screen with AQUOS technology.

Anyway, I'm just letting u know this is the best phone out of Japan (and Made in Japan) that can still be used overseas. However if someone is interested in them, I could let you know my contact details as I plan to sell it on eBay Australia.

: )
by Rouge rate this post as useful

3G 2006/8/11 17:47
I was sold a Samsung
SGH-Z140V, which is a 3g phone through the Vodaphone network on the understanding it would work in Japan
( Tokyo )- guess what it doesn't !
by philip young rate this post as useful

. 2006/8/13 16:19
My guess:

(1)Your local operator is not Vodafone Japan's roaming partner.
(2)You have not activated your roaming option.
(3)Your phone needs manual switching between 3G and GSM.
(4)You are dialing with a wrong prefix.

. 2006/8/13 23:26
Well the SHARP 903SH definitely works in and outside Japan...

You got to do the research beforehand unfortunately.

Its always a big risk to buy a phone in or outside Japan and expect them to work.

My phone is SIM UNLOCKED, and also runs at the right 3G or 2G networks.

by rouge rate this post as useful

Using Japanese cell phones in America 2006/8/22 18:54
I have a Japanese GSM cell phone and will soon take a trip to America. I'm wondering if I can put a T-Mobile SIM chipset into my GSM phone and have it work in America.
by jrr rate this post as useful

. 2006/8/23 04:19
What model?

If it is a Vodafone Japan phone, it can't be used with a T-Mobile SIM unless you unlock it.

my phone 2006/8/24 00:19
I think my phone is N900iG...is there a way to unlock it? or any other phones from, say, AU or DOCOMO? which phones are fixed locked and un-unlockable, and which phones are unlockable?
by jrr rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 35

1 2
next

reply to this thread