Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mailing Letters 2005/4/3 10:08
I've got a question...you see, I want to send letters to penpals in Japan, but I am not sure how to write the address on the letter...and they do not teach that at school. How do I write the address to people in Japan, and how many stamps are required??

Thanks for reading,
Samantha
by Samantha  

... 2005/4/3 17:46
Here is information on Japanese addresses:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html

As for postage, inquire at your local post office.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Postage 2005/4/4 08:09
Have your friend send you their address. I send letters to Tokyo about 1 or 2 times per month. From the US it's 80 cents for a first call letter and it takes between 5-7 days to arraive. You can get 80 cent international stamps at the post office.
by suteebu rate this post as useful

.. 2005/9/29 07:35
When mailing from the US, do you need one of those "air mail" envelopes you know with the red/blue border? Or can I just use a regular envelope and write "via Air Mail" in the corner.

Also I know the postage is like 80cents, do I need a special stamp, or can I just slap on three regular 37cent stamps (more postage but its no problem).
by .. rate this post as useful

From US, envelopes, postage 2005/9/29 08:12
You do not need a special envelope. But an airmail envelope is lighter, so it is worthwhile to use the special envelope and also email stationery or "onion-skin" (very thin) paper if you are planning on writing more than a few pages or enclosing a photo or something. And it kind of stands out among all the mail, too, which should be a good thing.

You do not need special stamps. You just need to get up to the $0.80, $1.70, $2.60 etc. (Yes, you can send two 1-ounce letters for less than one 2-ounce letter!) Remember than when your letter is weighed to see if you have affixed the correct postage (if you put on stamps before mailing it) the weight of the stamps themselves will be counted--better not to use eighty 1-cent stamps. It's nice to affix a few colorful "commemorative" stamps in case your penpal is a stamp collector or knows someone who is.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclhk_014.html
by watagei rate this post as useful

.. 2005/9/29 08:22
Thanks I'm just mailing a birthday card, btw I don't need all those customs forms for just a card right?
by ... rate this post as useful

customs forms 2005/9/29 09:02
I would think that would not even come up, unless it is a very thick card or for some reason gives the impression of possibly containing something. Best idea is to take it to the post office and have a clerk receive it out of your hand. Then you know it has been accepted into the mail system.
by watagei rate this post as useful

Whenever 2005/9/30 22:51
Whenever I post a letter to Japan, I just write it on normal. xxxxx, their town, their region, their city, their post code, Japan.
by Emily rate this post as useful

mailing 2007/9/19 13:21
how may stamps do i need to send a letter to japan?
by emma rate this post as useful

to emma 2007/9/19 13:58
Go to YOUR local post office and ask. Or visit the website of the postal office of your country. It is not recipient (Japan) but the postal system of the sender (YOU!) who decides the postage.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/19 14:02
Emma postage depends on how much a letter weights, how far its being sent etc etc, check with your post office or online website of your home postal service. If it is the USA check www.usps.com if Canada check www.canadapost.com Royal Mal for the UK www.royalmail.com

ETC ETC depending on your home country.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread