Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Language schools in Tokyo 2017/3/4 02:52
Hi everyone!

I've been thinking about moving to Tokyo since last year and I've researched a lot about language schools in Tokyo.

There are 2 language schools that stood out the most for me: Shibuya Gaigo Gakuin and Akamonkai

I read about the both of them on GoGoNihon and both sounded awesome to me. Now, I'm having a pretty difficult time choosing from the two! :(

I like Shibuya Gaigo Gakuin because of its location, affordable tuition fees, average to relaxed school intensity, small classes, students come from all parts of the globe, they have cultural parties where you get to mingle with not only foreign students but Japanese students too since they offer lessons for other languages aside from Japanese. Also, a friend of mine applied in Shibuya Gaigo Gakuin and it will be great if I at least knew 1 person in a city where I have no family.

On the other hand, I like Akamonkai because it has the most affordable tuition fee, the school looks super cool and has a 24hr study room, the student body is composed of mostly asians and I feel like I won't be having a hard time adjusting since I'm also from an asian country. The school also assists with finding part-time jobs for the students. I'm only kind of concerned about the high school intensity 'cause I feel like I might not be able to handle having lots of homework and doing a part-time job all at the same time.

If there are any students that are reading this from the mentioned schools, please feel free to share your experiences and tips~

Non-students are welcome as well. :)
by apllujuice (guest)  

Re: Language schools in Tokyo 2017/3/4 14:51
I am not a student, only have a family member who has studied years ago at another school in Tokyo.

Looking at the student profile, I see this stark difference in nationality mix (I find it amazing that the one in Shibuya has zero student from China), and also in the number of students who took and passed the Japanese Language Proficiency Test as well (well, maybe one of the schools might not be updating the information properly, so I cannot tell for sure, though).

This is the resource I use:
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/search/college.php?lng=2&id=209
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/search/college.php?lng=2&id=173

This does suggest of course that Akamonkai's classes might be more intensive, but if you are going to come to Japan to study, wouldn't you want to study intensively and acquire language skills quicker? Also it depends on your objective (what you want to do after completing your studies there). Best wishes!
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread