Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unofficial Sumo tournaments / small events 2017/3/4 03:39
Hello Everyone
I will be visiting Japan 23.03 - 06.04 which is very soon. Im just wondering has anyone have any knowledge if any unofficial sumo tournaments will be at that time in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima?
I see that the Grand Tournaments are organized just few times per year (Osaka very soon for example) but it's hard to believe there is nothing in Japan between them, in the country where sumo is something more than sport only.

Any information will be very much appreciated.

by queenman (guest)  

Re: Unofficial Sumo tournaments / small events 2017/3/4 18:57
you're right, sumo is more than a sport for many in japan but just like many good things; NYE, XMAS etc they don't happen everyday.

there are 6 tournaments per year, 3 of them being in tokyo and each tournament lasts for about 2 weeks. That's nearly 1/4 of the year worth of competition.

In between tournaments, it may be possible to see sumos in training, there are certain tour companies that may provide such an experience, but as far as i know - that's about it.
by AussieRonnie rate this post as useful

Re: Unofficial Sumo tournaments / small events 2017/3/9 08:33
There are indeed some sumo events aside of the six Grand Sumo Tournaments.

Check http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnJungyo/schedule for the schedule of these events. To be honest I'm not sure if they are mini-tournaments, exhibitions or just ceremonies.
by Sputnikboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread