Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Speaker honorarium - is this Pay? 2017/3/12 13:45
My husband (a professor, U.S. citizen) will speak for one session at a conference and will receive a small honorarium (as well as having his flight expense paid). He is just one of many professors giving short talks about their papers during the one-day conference. The information from the conference organizers specifically mentions that people from U.S. for a "short stay" do not require a visa, and I know a short stay visa-waiver is also fine for attending a conference. However, the embassy web site says you need a visa if you are paid for anything at all. So does getting a speaker honorarium count as being paid for visa requirement purposes? Anyone experience this?
by rkoo  

Re: Speaker honorarium - is this Pay? 2017/3/13 14:14
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/tetuduki/zairyuu/qa.html
Q1 「観光」目的で来日しましたが,働くことはできますか。
A 観光の活動は,在留資格「短期滞在」に含まれ,この在留資格では入管法施行規則第19条の3に定められている「臨時の報酬」等に該当する報酬のみを受ける活動を行う場合を除いて働くことはできません。
since your case is 「臨時の報酬」, you don't need to have a working visa.
generally speaking, income tax will be deducted from your 「臨時の報酬」(probably 20%, because of non-resident).
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Speaker honorarium - is this Pay? 2017/3/14 10:28
The honorarium is more like enabling him buy his lunch and beer, it's paid expense not income
Don't bother about the visa and have fun

My cousin- also American citizen and prof in NUS does this all the time
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread