Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/21 21:02
Hello, I will be living in Gunma soon. I just have a few questions of life in Gunma. Because I will be going to Gunma with train, what kind of IC card does people usually use to access the trains there? is it Pasmo, Suica, or does ICOCA works too? and from what I have checks, trains in Gunma are sparse, so for people who are not able to ride bicycles do they take the bus? or do they just walk everywhere?
To be honest, from what I have researched and read online, there doesn't seem to be much that I can do in Gunma and there doesn't seem to be places to go and have fun like for example places like Shibuya in Tokyo, or places like Namba or Umeda in Osaka. and from what I have researched it does seem like in Gunma it will be really hot in the summers and really cold in the winters, and frankly living there seems a little dull so I am a little bit worried about that. So any kind of input or advice will really be welcome. Thank you.
by poopoop  

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/22 12:42
Where in Gunma? It is a large prefecture.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/22 12:49
Do you know which City/Town you will be living in, because trains, climate and a number of other things are going to vary greatly for different areas. I can't remember the exact figures, but the majority of Gunma's population (I believe is around 70%) lives in the urban southeast part of Gunma, which makes up only 30% of the prefecture. The large amount of the rest of the prefecture is largely rural, with some remote and sparsely populated areas.

what kind of IC card does people usually use to access the trains there? is it Pasmo, Suica, or does ICOCA works too? and from what I have checks, trains in Gunma are sparse, so for people who are not able to ride bicycles do they take the bus? or do they just walk everywhere?

Gunma is in Kanto, which uses Pasmo/Suica, but trains that allow IC cards would accept cards from other regions too. There are some lines where stations are unmanned, and I would expect that they won't accept IC cards, as unmanned JR lines in other area typically don't accept them.

Trains will definitely be less frequent in rural areas, and cities that are on the Tobu lines are probably going to have fewer trains than big cities on the JR lines. For everyday transportation, most people in Gunma are probably going to drive. Cities in Northern Kanto are generally designed for cars, and Gunma has more cars per resident than any other prefecture.

there doesn't seem to be places to go and have fun like for example places like Shibuya in Tokyo

Each urban area will likely have a downtown area for shopping and entertainment, as well as malls. Ota city is known for having Northern Kanto's largest entertainment district.

from what I have researched it does seem like in Gunma it will be really hot in the summers and really cold in the winters

This is also only accurate for certain areas. Gunma is very mountainous, and the areas in the valleys have extreme summers and winters. Tatebayashi city in Gunma shares the record for the highest number of heat waves, along with Kumagaya city in Saitama. Gunma also has many places at a higher elevation, which will have cooler summers.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/22 15:11
I would say SUICA, as PAIMO is originally meant for subways, and Gunma has more above ground trains, but as the previous poster said you can use either. I just assume you will be living in Ota.

There is a network of buses, but again if you're outside the urban area, most people would drive.

The CBD area will have various entertainment options. What is it you want to do? If you are expecting it to be Roppongi or elsewhere in Shibuya it isn't, but you could always take the two hour train on the weekend (Friday night is the most doable) if that is what you just have to do. If you're in the urban part of the city it can indeed get very warm in the summer.

I'm sorry if you feel disillusioned, but Tokyo is Tokyo, and nowhere else in Japan are you going to find Tokyo, you are going to be increasingly disappointed with your life if you constantly are comparing Gunma to Tokyo.
by PsyGuy rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/22 16:45
Gunma is great for onsen and sento. You will love it.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/22 18:40
Do you know Japanguide (this website) is based in Gunma :)?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/22 19:10
Cities in Northern Kanto are generally designed for cars,

I would not say the above is wrong but it misleads.
We have Tobu-line (every 20-30min), JR lines (every 15-30min) and bus services (I don't know I don't use).
Of course, in the montain areas, less pubric transportations, it is the same as montain areas of Tokyo.
I have not seen unmanned staitons around Gunma yet, but accroding to my experience in the other places, ususally there is a ticket gate nowadays, which you can scan your IC card as well as the central Tokyo.

Please let me add somehting, it is not answer to the question though.
You had better understand that Gunma is within Shutoken(Metropolitan area)
You cannot not simpley understand that 'Gunma is rural' to compare with Tokyo.
There are shops, karaoke, bars, restaurants, not just richy culture and great nature.
https://www.visitgunma.jp/en/
Please enjoy!
by グンマー (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/24 04:41
I would not say the above is wrong but it misleads.

This wasn't a criticism of the train service in Gunma. The OP asked what transportation people in Gunma use for daily life, and as far as I'm aware from my experience in Gunma/research, and from what I've heard from people living in Gunma, most people tend to drive. I will admit that I don't have much experience with travelling in Gunma, as I've only been there twice, but I lived in the Utsunomiya area in neighbouring Tochigi Prefecture for 8 months, where almost all the locals drive, and most people claim that Gunma is even more car-centric. This is not just the opinion of a few people, Gunma and Northern Kanto in general are generally considered Kuruma-shakai (car-based societies).

When I said Northern Kanto's cities are designed for cars, I meant that shopping/dining/entertainment facilities aren't exclusively centred around train stations or city centres, many of them are spread out along long roads, with large parking areas, or in malls outside of the city centre, although the malls often have free shuttle bus services.

We have Tobu-line (every 20-30min), JR lines (every 15-30min) and bus services (I don't know I don't use).

First, frequency isn't the only factor to consider if you're going to judge how ideal a city is for pedestrians. You would also need to consider how much of the city is covered by public transportation, and whether or not shops are concentrated in one central area. I'm not going to make any judgements about how ideal Gunma is for non-drivers, but my impression is that it is more car-centric than Saitama and Chiba prefecture's most heavily populated areas. This wasn't what the OP was asking though, so there's no reason to discuss this in detail.

Second, as the OP hasn't mentioned the area where they will be living, this could be misleading too. To be more accurate, train service varies by train line, rather than the city. The Takasaki and Ryomo lines both have good service, but the Joetsu and Shinetsu lines have 1 train an hour, and 2-3 an hour during peak times.

I have not seen unmanned staitons around Gunma yet, but accroding to my experience in the other places, ususally there is a ticket gate nowadays, which you can scan your IC card as well as the central Tokyo.

This is a very minor detail, but there definitely are unmanned stations in Gunma that don't accept suica cards. I looked into it, and I found a list of train lines that don't accept suica at http://blog.livedoor.jp/sashibuxxx_osaka/archives/51962881.html. Suica isn't accepted at stations on segments of 2 JR lines, and on 3 private rail lines. I once stayed close to one of these unmanned stations, but it was in a very remote area, so the OP is very unlikely to encounter these in their daily life.

You had better understand that Gunma is within Shutoken(Metropolitan area)
Although Shutoken is one of multiple definitions of the Tokyo area that can be referred to as the Tokyo Metropolitan area in English, Shutoken is the widest definition that includes the entire Kanto region and Yamanashi. This definition is based on administrative boundaries, and includes many non-urban areas in Northern Gunma and Tochigi prefectures, as well as the Utsunomiya area, which as a separate, smaller metropolitan area. Other definitions of Tokyo's urban area includes Maebashi, but not cities in Northern Gunma. It is incorrect to say that Gunma is entirely rural (which no one in this thread has claimed), but it certainly includes several rural and remote areas. The OP may very well end up in an urban area with good transportation links, but as they have asked for information about Gunma without stating a specific location, all we can do is make assumptions or an overview.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Living in Gunma, Japan 2017/3/24 05:15
Sounds like OP is dissin' Gunma without having been there.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet (including this forum).
Go see for yourself first, then decide.

Home is where you make it (Japanese have a similar saying: 住めば都).
by my gf is from gunma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread