Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 04:23
Hi,

here is my case. I was born in Argentina, and at some point I was both Argentinean and Japanese. Then after renouncing my previous nationality, I became only Japanese.

This is my problem. I want to get married and in Switzerland, where I live, they need my birth certificate and the paper saying that I am not married.

I have tried to get my birth cert. from Argentina but they cannot find it. I know you might not know the law in Switzerland, but is my koseki a proxy for a "birth certificate"?

From here it looks like it.
http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/g-certificates/index-2-0271-birthcertif...
Family Register/"Koseki"
Japanese "Family Register" is the official file kept at a municipal government office to record events such as Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death, and so forth of a Japanese national.
If a person who needs a birth certificate is Japanese national, a document related to Koseki can be used to certify his/her birth.

As a side note, I know my brother got married in Japan without any paper from Argentina. But that might work only if we were to reside in Japan.

Thanks a lot!

Mati
by Mati (guest)  

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 14:17
Yes the information of the link is correct.

A koseki is a Japanese family registry. Japanese law requires all Japanese households to report births, acknowledgements of paternity, adoptions, disruptions of adoptions, deaths, marriages and divorces of Japanese citizens to their local authority.

Every piece of information will be written on the koseki.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 14:25
You do not answer the question, which is whether Swiss authorities will accept it in lieu of a birth certificate. Though arguably the question does not belong here since it is about Switzerland, not Japan.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 14:38
Dear Firas, I noticed that you think you know better and always have something to argue.
It would be better to change your behavior. Thank you

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 14:43
When Koseki is equal to birth certificate the only thing that has to be done is translate it by an authorized translator.

My wifes koseki was accepted in my country as official document.

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 15:15
When Koseki is equal to birth certificate the only thing that has to be done is translate it by an authorized translator.

Before a troller denys it, I would say above is correct as a Japanese men who married in Italy.
Yes, answer is that Koseki (Koseki Tohon) can be used as a birth certificate provided that it is translated by
an authorized translator.
by Kosuge (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/5 15:24
there is no official birth certificate in Japan. It corresponds to the official copy of Koseki.
also, that document proves your marital situation.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/6 02:08
Thanks a lot for the help. We will try with the koseki only in Switzerland. When we asked they said that since I was born in Argentina, they wanted the birth certificate from Argentina.

by Mati (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use Koseki as birth certificate? Or? 2017/4/6 02:10
But then, do I even have to go to the Japanese consulate to get another certificate about my marital status?

It seems like I just needed to get it translated.
by Mati (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread