Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/5 16:40
Hello
Just a bit curious about Japanese "manner rules".
On trains you are not supposed to talk in mobile phones, but I have been riding trains and came across several passengers speaking loudly or being generally noisy.

What is the difference? It would bother people as much as when using a Phone as talking. I dont believe the radiowaves are the reason for I see people using their smartphones surfing etc all the time.

I heard privacy is a reason but I hear people chatting loudly on various topics that could as well have been done on phobe.

by Mirou (guest)  

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/5 17:22
On trains you are not supposed to talk in mobile phones, but I have been riding trains and came across several passengers speaking loudly or being generally noisy.

It is also generally considered bad mannered. There are lots of bad mannered people in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/5 17:57
People generally sit or stand in silence while on the trains as being too loud and disturbing other passengers is considered rude. This includes talking on your phone or having loud conversations. If you need to chat to your travel companion, do so in low voices. Also make sure your phone is on silent and that other people canft hear the music youfre listening to or the game youfre playing.

Overall, be quiet in the train. I prefer this kind of rule, so I can sleep in the train.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/5 18:07
There are always ill-mannered people or those who don't care for other people at all.
Not talking loudly is not a social rule but a mutual public consideration. It is not inhibited but advised. When you receive a phone call in trains or buses, if it is not so crowded, you can answer briefly in a low voice, or say simply for example "I'm in a bus, and I'll call you back later". Even this behavior might be seen with an accusing glance by someone. But personally I don't think that a society where even this kind of reserved behavior is considered ill-mannered is a sound society.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/5 18:22
I agree with the other posters, and it also has to do with the fact that most trains in Japan are often crowded. That said, it is indeed a silly rule to prohibit phone conversation as a whole, both in transportation systems and restaurants. Nowadays, people tend to tolerate mobile phone conversation as long as you're not being too loud or distracted. I see people exchanging a short business conversation with their hands around their mouths.

But let's keep in mind that it's only been less than a couple of decades since mobile phones became common in Japan. (Okay, if you're young you may think that that's a long time, but believe me it's short.) In the beginning, people used their phones on trains and didn't even realize how loud they tend to get on phones as opposed to talking to people face-to-face.

The other thing is that when you're engaging in a phone conversation, you tend to pay less attention to what's going on around you. For this reason, holding your phone and talking to it while driving is prohibited.

I guess these are the things you should keep in mind if you ever need to use your mobile phone in public.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/6 10:48
Fundamentally, neither answer is correct.
The reason why the phone call is not permitted is that the voice of the conversation tends to be large because the voice of the other party is difficult to hear by bad communication signals or the running sound of the train, is.

Also, since this manner is made before mainstream communication means by e-mail like present, the number of people who do not know how to be limited is increasing, so also young Japanese who pointed out the same thing It is getting more.

However,in Japan it is certainly a manner to keep quiet in public places, but we do not restrict conversation in trains even buses.
If when started important announcement, they will be naturally quiet.

Also, the time, the day of the week, and the regionality are greatly related to the frequent talking in the train.
Although it is quiet for the number of passengers in a weekday commuter rush, the student's return time zone and holidays do not become the same.
Also, Tokyo etc. East Japan are quiet usual, but it is not wonder if you feel it so much in Kansai (Osaka or Kyoto etc.) who likes talking.

Also, the loud voice you were listening to may not be Japanese.
Can you perfectly distinguish Japanese face and Japanese?
The bad manners of people naturalized from other Asian countries especially Korea and China are very famous. (Not all)
Recent years most Japanese hate bad manner "C" country traveleres :/

Well, Japanese people are noisy, though.
(Except for childrens, students and older people whose ears are distant)
by Torisoba (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/6 16:31
Torisoba,

Fundamentally, neither answer is correct

I guess you wanted to say "there is no correct answer" because my answer doesn't contradict with yours.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Why no phone but talking ok on trains? 2017/4/7 12:21
It is just a local custom which should be respected. If you want to judge an opposite situation, get on a train in China where there is competition to see who can shout the loudest.
It is an absolute pleasure to enjoy the peace in Japanese trains.
by couldabeen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread