Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ordering a phone from Japan 2017/4/10 07:11
So I've always loved flip phones, and I was stoked to find out that they're actually pretty functional when imported from Asia (since the ones in the UK aren't too different to bricks). Add a sim only plan onto one and it looks to be a pretty good deal.

I really like the 'Docomo sharp SH-01J aquos keitai' http://www.sharp.co.jp/products/sh01j/index.html (from the 2016-2017 winter range) but I've come to the realisation that English speaking sellers are charging around £200 more than the original price, which doesn't seem very fair. I would order it from the website myself but I have a couple of problems:

1. I don't understand the language nearly well enough to be able to read up about all of the fine print/directions and press any needed buttons. Google translate serves a very limited service in helping me with all of this.

2. I keep seeing stuff about how Japanese phones are all meant to be unlocked when the customer asks but I'm not sure if that's an option I can chose while ordering or not.... Or would I have to physically show up to a store?....

3. What on earth's a 'docomo nano UIM card' and is it really required?

4. Would the 'model change' option be the unlocked one?

Honestly - thanks to anyone who can help me with this in whatever way possible. I'm not sure that I could fork over an extra £200!

(p.s. which accessories am I meant to be buying? I'm not sure if everything's included with the phone.)
by sinntt  

Re: Ordering a phone from Japan 2017/4/10 18:42
it will not work in your country.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ordering a phone from Japan 2017/4/10 19:33
All carrier phones in Japan are sim locked, those that are imported from asian, or Hong Kong has been unlocked internally from insiders, and some are unlocked in Hong Kong, but getting a flip phone, is uncommon now, when many are after smartphones.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread