Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/21 14:04
Why people in Japan eat raw food, sashimi and say , ah its soo yummy. Sometime I eat
sashimi with my family and friends but as being polite I smile and say , oh yes its yummy but inside myself I thought what is yummy about in this raw food?
by Art and Art  

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/21 15:58
If you don't like it, don't eat it! People have different preferences...
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/21 21:37
Not all Japanese like raw seafood, and they openly say so.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/22 05:36
...and they might like some and not others. Personally I love white fish sashimi but loathe prawn or squid sashimi and find it very unpleasant in taste and texture.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/22 05:37
But any raw fish is not Sashimi, the quality of the fish must be good and you have to cut it the correct way. I always wonder at the fact that in Germany random asians sells Sushi, it horrible and has nothing to do with real Sushi/ Sashimi but all the customers like it.

Sushi ans Sashimi is awesome, it the epitome of awesomeness. It is absolute perfection.

by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/23 11:48
My mom (japanese) doesn't like sashimi. She doesn't like fish/seafood in general. She grew up in the mountains eating mostly vegetables, chickens, and porks. I like sashimi but not everything. It is ok not to like sashimi. Enjoy the foods you like and stay healthy. :) :)
by ‚Í‚é‚© haruka (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/23 23:37
Ofc no one has to eat Sashimi, but for me it is like heaven. It incredible how you can get so much flavor with so little. Im just saying before you say you do not like it, you should at least once try really good professionally prepared Sashimi, i mean those sushi chefs have 7 years training for a reason.

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/4/27 11:15
I don`t know what you want with your post, but if you don`t like it than just say it to the people you go out.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/5/2 05:43
There are differences between 'red' meat fishes and 'white' meat fishes. And if you eat them enough you might be able to tell the difference. And if you eat it correctly...dont drown it in wasabi or shoyu....chew the fish and let it paint the in side of your mouth to enjoy it...also...make sure it is sashimi grade, which mostly in Japan if it is raw fish, it is up to grade. I don't put anything on anything raw and I eat as much raw as I can because back on the east coast NYC area I will NEVER eat raw anything, unless it is from a high end Japanese restaurant in NYC, DC or Boston. OR, if I catch it myself. Even then there are parastites etc and I am not an inspector. I have a few friends who have foodborne hepatitis from raw clams and oysters.
As you have found out Japanese flavors are subtle. Here in NY/NJ we assault our mouths with garlic, hot sauce, tomato sauce, and so many highly spiced ethnic foods, that I think most of us can't distinguish the subtle flavors of Washoku (Japanese cuisine) I for one want to spend a few hundred on a kaiseki dinner in Kyoto but it would be wasted on over assaulted and whisky drikning palate. So I eat in moderate restaurants and do my best to enjoy the subtleties. This might help, maybe not, it is just my opinion.
by FrankNJ rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/5/4 02:36
Thats weird, while i ate more Sushi than Sashimi and i never ate high class Sushi/Sashimi. But i had opposite experience, the cheap restaurants had fish that tasted nothing, like water, while the not so cheap ones had way more flavor.

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/5/5 18:19
I usually say if I don't like something so I don't end up eating the same thing over and over again because someone thinks I like it.
Surely you are not so black and white that you think ALL Japanes like sashimi.
by Ravey (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating raw food, sashimi 2017/5/7 00:24
I know a number of Japanese that don't like sashimi, and they say so, and won't eat it.
by PsyGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread