Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/18 03:06
So I'm about to go to college in the fall and after getting my bachelors degree in dental hygiene, I thought I'd take a year to teach English in Japan (or Korea probably) though I don't think the Language will be the problem because I'll be studying it in College before I graduate so I think I'll have a good grasp of it by the time I graduate, I did some reasearch and found out some pretty bad stuff

1) is it really that expensive? If working as a teacher won't work of course I'll have a plan b and try to find a job as a dentist (but another thing can a foreigner who speaks good enough Japanese become a dentist in Japan? I know expense depends on where you live so where is the best place to start?

2) work hours, I know for my self that I don't wanna dedicate my life to teaching but I heard that the work hours are crazy! What if you're teaching elementary or kindergarten? Will I have some time to myself?

3)harassment, as a woman this is one of the scariest. I heard that some ESL teachers got harassed by male students , of course in not saying everyone in Japan like this because every country has people like this

4) living, I want to leave in a place I can afford and at the same time be able to enjoy Japanese culture, my favorite spots are places with vibes like the picture I added and also make friends because I want to be able to hang out with some people after work hours (I don't drink so going out for drinks is a no for me)

so what is the best place for me to get a job in in Japan?
by raeh alien (guest)  

Re: Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/18 10:00
1) It's not that expensive unless you want to live in a high-rise in a fancy neighborhood in Tokyo. Average teachers make an okay living, especially for a single person just coming for a year. You wouldn't be able to be a dentist here without getting a Japanese license, which would require years of study on its own, so I wouldn't even consider that a plan b. You'll generally be fine as a teacher.

2) Most native English teachers have 8-4/5ish (school ALT) or 1-9ish (eikaiwa) hours with very little overtime. Some schools do make teachers work more, but it's pretty easy to find other jobs if one has bad conditions.

3) It happens, but I had way worse experiences in the US. Just be aware that it's a possibility, as you would in your home country.

4) Just about any medium-sized city can provide this. You'll likely have at least a few other foreigners in the same situation in your workplace or area, and if you speak some Japanese it's easy to get involved in hobby groups and make friends.

The best place to get a job is the place where someone will hire you and give you a visa. If you're really worried about living abroad, I recommend trying to come through the JET program since they usually offer a bit more support and have a larger built-in network than the private companies.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/18 12:27
2 - I hear the opposite. The hours and pay are low.

3 - Cannot say this is common.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/18 12:56
1) If you receive your average salary as an English teacher, you will be able to live alright in Japan, provided you don't splurge every day.
Some occupations are tied to national exams, and dentist is one of them. You can't just come and find a job as a dentist.

2) Depends on your employer. If you come in as an ALT to an elementary school, your responsibilities will be limited to English teaching, no more.

3) I don't think this is common.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/18 13:59
In what world does a "bachelors degree in dental hygiene" qualify you to be a dentist?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/18 14:26
Just some comments on life in general, not restricted to Japan:

You are trying to make a decision based on a hearsay or stuff you read on internet, and for something that is 4 years (2?) in the future. Things can change in 4 years. It is important to set goals, but in the process you also need to do some fact checks.

If your "dreams" are so easily crushed because the cost of living is high or work hours are long, then you better examine seriousness of your dreams.

I suggest you save a little money first and visit Japan/Korea one summer. See things for yourself, then make decisions.

by Silverhair01 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dreams crushed about living in Japan 2017/6/19 06:28
To get what you want takes a lot of hard work, effort and perseverance, and Japan is not an easy country to pick. Many of the "complaints" occur in many countries.

As a btw, I am getting some major dental work done and the practice I attend is "English" speaking - most of the staff are bi-lingual, so there are jobs/roles around.
by JapanCustomTours (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread