Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/22 12:46
I'm in 10th grade right now, and my Japanese is at n4 level currently. I'm taking the n3 test in December, and I will study for n2 in 2018; language shouldn't be a problem for me as far as learning it in able to attend a university.

But I've been homeschooled my whole life, and my mom wants to make me a diploma with my homeschooled transcript that she created.
Would that be accepted as an actual high school diploma that you'd need to attend a university in Japan?

Or should I try to get into school for 11th-12th grade and finish schooling in actual school, in order to get their issued diploma?
Or if I get a GED at the end of 12th grade would that be acceptable, or no?

What would be the best course of action for me if I want to study abroad, out of these things I'm considering?

(Also, my mom is saying it would be way too expensive to live on my own; even cheaply and miserly with money as I am. Is this relatively true? Are living costs incredibly expensive?)

by Cry (guest)  

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/23 04:38
It might be a good idea to look at the universities' websites and find the requirements for admission. If there are universities that accept a diploma made by your mom, why waste time going to high school for 11th and 12th years.

What kind of homeschooling program do you do?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/23 06:26
The diploma created by your mom is not recognized by Japanese government. So don't bother them with such a question. I recommend you to get official one.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/23 06:39
So, I work for an English program in a Japanese university. Part of my duties is in recruiting and admissions. A couple of years ago, we had a homeschooled girl with a GED apply. However, the university could not officially recognize her qualification, and she was deemed ineligible.

However, it sounds like you plan to enter a university program taught in Japanese? Not easy. However, you would need to take the EJU. With that you may be eligible, although I would strongly, strongly, strongly recommend you to contact your desired university and check with them.

As for expenses - it depends on where you are. Tuition is relatively cheap ($5000/yr) at public universities, and more expensive (~$12,000) at private universities. Rent if expensive ($800 / mo) in Tokyo, but cheaper ($500 / mo) in smaller towns and cities. Living expenses aren't so bad ($500 / mo) if you live relatively frugally.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/23 09:34
Possibly consider International Baccalaureate program?
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Just a passer-by 2017/6/24 00:09
Anyone, regardless of their nationality, is free to take the 高卒認定 exam.
http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/koutou/shiken/

If you pass, you will have the same academic rights as those who graduated senior high school in Japan. As far as I know, all universities accept students who were home-schooled but passed this exam, as long as they pass the entrance exam of the university.

In any case, as another poster wrote, you should contact the universities you wish to attend and ask for details, because that's what everybody does here in Japan. Good luck!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/25 14:29
I've been teaching at both US and Japanese universities for the past 35 years, and I'm currently a professor at a private Japanese university, where I have some international students who are part of our program. Also, for what it's worth, my daughter homeschooled, in both the US and in Japan, and she was able to enter university with some minor hassles but with no serious trouble (and she recently completed her PhD). What you are proposing is possible, but it will require planning and dedication, and probably a fair bit of persistence on your part. So my first bit of advice would be this: "Don't listen to naysayers."
There are various things you can do, many of which have already been mentioned, and I'd suggest doing as many of them as you can. Definitely take the GED. Possibly look into enrolling in an accredited umbrella school for your last two years of high school. For a small fee, they will provide a transcript/diploma/etc. While still a high school student, take some freshman-level college courses at your local community college and get college transcript and college credit now. Definitely take the JLPT and try to pass N2 and then N1. When your Japanese is up to snuff in several years, see if you can take the 高卒認定試験. You can find old exam questions here: http://www.mext.go.jp/a_menu/koutou/shiken/kakomon/
Possibly look into US universities that have year-abroad programs with Japanese universities, and see how soon after starting the US school you'd be eligible to take part in their Japanese programs. Those students are often given the opportunity to live very cheaply in university housing for international students in Japan.
These days, with the steadily declining number of Japanese young people, some Japanese colleges and universities have become more eager to recruit international students to fill out their enrollment numbers. So after you have a plan, try contacting schools and see what they say.
Best wishes.
by Two cents' worth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/25 16:53
(continued)

Another idea would be to contact Japanese consulates, starting with the one nearest you:

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/jicc/consulate-guide.html

The larger consulates are likely to have a Japan Information Center, with information about universities, scholarships, etc.

Here's a link to one such consulate page with some scholarship information: http://www.ny.us.emb-japan.go.jp/en/h/06.html

Also, some Japanese schools go overseas to take part in recruitment fairs, and the Japanese consulate for your region may have information, or may even host such a fair. Check and see. There you could talk directly with representatives of Japanese universities that seek international students.
by Two cents' worth (continued) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/25 17:22
@Two cents

Some good advice, but some unlikely to yield results I think.

Since the end of the G30 program not many universities are targeting the US. We've never really had many fair there either - the only real one I can think of was the one organised by U Tokyo in San Francisco about 3 years ago. Some universities do go to events like Japan Bowl in Washington DC or visit individual schools, but that's about it.

The Embassy may not be so helpful. When I was in Washington DC last year we had a meeting with the Japanese Education Attache. Basically, we called for them to be more pro-active about promoting Japanese language studies and study in Japan options, but so far I haven't heard of much progress. A nice guy, my feeling is that their remit finishes somewhere around MEXT scholarships and JET applications (neither of which are small tasks).

Anyway, the question of whether the OP can be accepted by a Japanese university comes down to whether their qualifications are accepted as "equivalent to a 12 year curriculum of formal school education". These are rules specified by MEXT and not open really negotiable. However, you may find a sympathetic Admissions officer willing to help.

US universities are much more used to dealing with this type of situation, so some place like Temple University Japan Campus may be the best option. Or, as you mention, a year of study abroad from a US university.

It's not easy - Japanese universities just aren't set up for home-schoolers.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/26 17:22
home schooling does not exist in Japan. I believe that it is illegal in Japan and, probably is one of child abuses.
that is the reason why the education system does not accept home-schoolers.
city authorities have a duty that they have to provide, to ALL young residents, a chance to have public educations.
also, parents (guardians) have a duty that they let their children go to public schools.
高等学校卒業程度認定試験 is a sole relief for people who don't have a chance to go to high school, because high school is not mandatory.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/26 17:40
Ken, the law only apply to Japanese citizens, there are a lot of cases of truancy among foreign kids, especially among Brazilians. A lot of them don't go to school but it is not illegal because they are foreign.
by Gaby (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Homeschooling and wanting to study abroad 2017/6/26 19:44
It is not against the Japanese law to be not enrolled in any school even if you're a Japanese person younger than 15 or the parent. The law only says that guardians (such as parents) have the duty to "educate" the child. It doesn't say they have to make them "attend" an educational facility. (Moreover, too many parents don't even think of sending kids to "public" school, but send them to private ones instead.)

In any case, the OP is talking about the possibilities of entering a university in Japan, so as long as the OP passes the 高卒認定試験 to say the least, (s)he will be qualified to take the entrance exam for the uni and can enroll if (s)he passes that exam.

There are so many Japanese people who never chose to enroll in senior high school and graduated a renowned university.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread