Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does Costco have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 01:36
Their web site is confusing about this. Of course a member can get a one-day card, if they forget their regular card. But they also suggest that a non-member one-day card is available, one time only, and with a 5% surcharge on any purchase. They also mention invitations for a one-day card, and also say that invitations can be found in their flyers. I assume these flyers are at or in their stores. There is nothing in their quarterly online publication about it. I know that a non-member can get in with a prepaid card, but, of course, only members can purchase a prepaid card. And legally anyone can go in to buy alcohol or prescription drugs. I would deeply appreciate hearing from anyone who knows the answer, as opposed to just what they think the answer might be. Thank you in advance.
by John Sanders (guest)  

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 12:43
if you go to their website it is mentioned as followed

I forgot my member card. Can I shop?
We can issue a one day membership card without extra charge. Please visit our membership counter with your ID to issue.

How many non-members can enter Costco with one member?
With one primary membership card, six people may come to Costco which includes Members (Primary and Household) and two Non-member guests per membership card. There is no entrance limit for children under 18. Only members may pay for purchases.

Costco Invitation Card and One-Day Pass Terms and Conditions of Use

Article 1 (Definition) The purpose of these terms and conditions of use (the gTerms and Conditionsh) is to define the terms and conditions for use of the Costco Invitation Cards and One-Day Passes to the Costco (hereinafter the gOne-Day Passh) issued by Costco Wholesale Japan Ltd. (hereinafter the gCompanyh), to ensure that any transactions made with the One-Day Pass are conducted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions.

Article 2 (Conditions of Use)
1. The One-Day Pass is not a Costco Membership Card. In the event that you use the card to purchase goods at one of our Costco warehouses in Japan, the non-member price (an additional 5% on the prices displayed in our warehouses) applies to your purchases.

As it clearly mentioned it is NOT a membership card and therefore an additional 5% will be added for each article you buy

2. The One-Day Passes with no expiration date (and/or warehouse of issue) are invalid.
3. The One-Day Passes issued without following the correct procedure are invalid.
4. Reselling of the One-Day Passes is strictly prohibited. The One-Day Passes acquired via reselling cannot be used. To determine the validity of a card the Company reserves the right to enquire how and where you acquired the card, and may refuse to accept the card if any doubts are raised. In the event a Costco Member has resold the One-Day Pass, their membership shall be revoked. Please note, it is permitted for a Costco member who received the One-Day Passes through the correct procedure to transfer the card (as a gift) to a non-member free of charge.
5. Tampering with, counterfeiting or altering the One-Day Pass in any way is strictly prohibited.
6. Please follow the rules and instructions set forth by the Company when using the One-Day Pass.

Article 3 (Modifications and Changes) These Terms and Conditions are subject to change without notice. Please check the Company website for the latest Terms and Conditions before use.

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 12:45
For buying alcohol the Japanese law is valid, means 20 years or up, same as cigarettes.

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 14:07
Justmyday, Thank you for your reply, but all you did was repeat what I said in my post.
by John Sanders (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 14:23
yes that is what I did, because it clearly mentioned everything. There are no other options as mentioned on the website

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 15:03
Is there anyone who has actual experience obtaining a non-member one-day pass? Has anyone seen an invitation printed in a COSTCO flyer? Are these flyers only available at COSTCO itself? Are there other forms of one-day pass invitations?

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 15:25
Flyers are at costco or spread in the surrounding area of costco.

And yes I am member and go every week. Could send you if you had treat me normal.

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 16:01
First of all, the best thing you can do is to ask them directly:
https://www.costco.co.jp/p/comments?lang=en

Now, I wonder if my experience from years ago will answer your question. I went to a Costco in Japan, and there was a counter at the entrance where an actual person will answer any questions you might have.

They let me become a member to go in so that I can look around. I found nothing I want to buy, so they let me resign my membership. I didn't loose a yen.

I am assuming that what happened was that they followed the "We will refund your membership fee in full at any time during the membership term if you are dissatisfied." rule.
http://www.costco.co.jp/p/membership/memberprivileges?lang=en
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 17:04
Thank you for your reply, Unco. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. I spent a lot of time looking at the Costco Japan web site, but didn't see the comments link, which I will try.

I know the USA Costco stores don't have one-day passes, but the Japan web site mentions them. I spent lots of time using Google, and checking YouTube videos, before I posted here. I couldn't find any information about passes in Japan. If I was living in Japan, I would certainly have a membership. When I lived in the USA I had both Costco & Sam's Club memberships. I visit Japan a few times a year, and really all I need is a supply of some reliable over the counter drugs. The OTC drugs where I am at now are expensive, and possibly fake.

I'll be near the Makuhari store next week, as I have other business in the area. I know I can ask in person, but I would like to know in advance if I would be wasting my time. I also know that I could use the "satisfaction guaranteed" method of getting in the store, and would use it if I was desperate enough. As an occasional tourist, with no Costco where I am now, a membership would not be worth the price. I couldn't fit anything big in my luggage anyhow.

Again, thank you for your help.

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 17:17
John Sanders,

I wish you had properly checked the spelling of the name of the poster you just thanked...
by ........ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 17:34
Wow, me too. Gomenasai Uco-san.

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 18:13
Ha ha, you're most welcome, John-san. Anyway, by contacting them on-line in advance, you won't be wasting much of your time.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Does COSTCO have one-day memberships? 2017/7/5 19:49
At least I misspelled it with a c and not a k. That word is always floating around in my subconscious because of a comedy routine involving a banjo and a benjo.

I sent off a message to Costco, and am looking forward to their reply.

Thank you again for your kind assistance and understanding.

reply to this thread