Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/25 14:16
Can you bring a pet insect when moving to Japan? For example, mine is a centipede (Scolopendra subspinipes). I heard insect collecting is quite popular there, but I don't know if there are serious arthropod hobbyists. Where's also the best place to hunt insects there, particularly centipedes? Thanks.
by RedRanczeAka  

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/25 22:01
This is the answer on a FAQ from the Japanese government site, looks like it is very possible unless your local Japanese embassy raises a flag: http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/other.html
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/25 23:14
The link you gave me says

QUOTE-Animal quarantine inspections are not required upon arrival in Japan for frogs (amphibians), snakes (reptiles) and so forth that you bring with you from abroad.

I guess that means that animals like these are not required for inspection. Meaning, you can just bring them in. Quote, "Animal quarantine inspections are not required upon arrival in Japan that you bring with you from abroad." So if I come from another country, inspection is not needed. It didn't mention that it's not allowed.

QUOTE-In addition, inspection upon departure from Japan when taking them to other countries is also not required

In this case, if you are FROM Japan, and going to another country. Inspection is also not required.

If you click the Frequently-Asked Questions and Answers in the site you gave me, you can see the Notification System for the Importation of Animals by the Ministry of Health.

QUOTE-Under the system, any importer of animals (live terrestrial mammals, Live birds and carcasses of rodents and lagmorpha) is required to submit a written declaration giving the specified information on the animals to be imported, such as their species name and quantity, to the Minister of Health, Labour and Welfare (the quarantine station concerned), accompanied by a health certificate issued by the government authorities of the exporting country certifying that the animals are free from the infectious diseases specified for each species.

It doesn't say arthropods. Arthropods aren't mammals, and Lagmorphas are rabbits I think.

So far with what I have read (those), I didn't see anything that says insects are not allowed. Just that inspection isn't required, I guess meaning you can just go in bringing your pet insect. But if anyone wants to correct me or add more information. It'll be great.
by RedRanczeAka rate this post as useful

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 11:08
With the current problems the major ports are having with fire ants, I would be prepared to have customs change the laws or otherwise be more controlling.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 12:38
Guess I'll just keep my heads up just in case there will be changes to the laws. But for now, it seems it's okay (allowed).

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 15:43
"Animals" in that places are mainly mammals, not cover insects.
insects are controlled by 植物防疫所.
海外から生きた昆虫類を持ち込みたい場合は、その昆虫類が有害動物に該当するかどうかについて事前に植物防疫所にご相談ください。
昆虫類の輸入の際には、税関検査の前に必ず植物防疫所において輸入可能な昆虫類かどうか確認を受けて下さい。
植物防疫法の第三十九条に該当する場合(例えば、輸入が禁止されている昆虫類の不正持ち込みなど)は、三年以下の懲役又は百万円以下の罰金に処すると規定されています。
if you bring illegal insects in Japan, you may jail for less than 3 years or a penalty of less than 1000000 yen.
good luck.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 16:18
I translated what you said, so I'm not sure if I got it correctly, but before I bring live insects from abroad, I will have to talk with the Plant Quarantine Office to check if the insects are harmful. Is that correct?
I think I've read about this about how some insects can affect plant agriculture. But the thing is, arthropod hobbyists keep their pet insects in terrariums, not at the garden or on the garden soil. So I'm not sure how that will affect plant agriculture. But since rules are rules, I guess talking with the Plant Quarantine Office before bringing them in is a good thing for safety.
Where can be the Plant Quarantine Office be contacted?

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 16:21
By the way, thanks for the information, ken (guest). Now I know you can't just bring pet insects without contacting the Plant Quarantine Office or something first.

Where can it be contacted in advance before bringing the pet insects in?

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 21:01
Don't forget to contact the required department in your country, taking it out of your country is just as important as entering Japan.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 21:16
if you enter Japan at Narita(NRT) or Haneda, 横浜植物防疫所 業務部種苗担当 TEL 045-211-7153.
if you enter Japan at Kansai(KIX),神戸植物防疫所業務部本船貨物担当 TEL 078-331-2386.
I am afraid that they don't understand English.

probably, you don't understand how important to maintain natural circumstances of each country.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 22:17
@kms899, thank you for that information!

@ken (guest), thank you for the details. And don't worry, I understand that it's important to maintain the natural circumstances. I always follow the rules.

And just in case of misunderstanding. I'm not planning to bring pet insects to/from Japan. I'm just curious if it's possible, if so how? If it's restricted, sure, glad to know it's not allowed. If it's possible, then I want to know the procedures. Maybe in the future, if I finally plan on moving to Japan and want to bring my pet centipede. But for now, I want to know the rules and procedures. And like I said. I don't have a problem with following rules. I'll gladly abide by the rules.

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 22:33
Let me rephrase my previous message. I'm just interested in knowing the rules and procedures regarding import/export in/from Japan. I just want to read information about the rules and procedures. That's all, thank you.

Re: Can you bring pet insects to Japan? 2017/7/26 22:45
I've gathered enough information. Looks like it's almost to impossible. There's a bunch of serious procedures from both countries. I think most of the time, you can't because of natural conservation or something (like ken (guest) said). Other than the quarantine procedures, my friend said you need a wildlife collector permit, which I don't know how to get. If people decide to move to Japan (or any country) and wants to bring their pet insect with them. Just release it in your country or sell it to another hobbyist and buy a new one once you've moved into the new country.

But if anyone wants to add more information. I'll be happy to read it.

"Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning"

reply to this thread