Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/7/30 12:40
TL:DR at the bottom

I was on the Asakusa line from Asakusa to Haneda International.

During one of the stops, I saw that there was a rapid service coming 2 mins behind which would get to Haneda faster, so with only 2 hours left before flight takeoff, I got off a jam packed train at Nigashi-Nihonbashi (there was a matsuri/hanabi fireworks festival in Asakusa so there were a TON of people).

2 mins later as I was about to get on rapid, I realised I'd left my bag...

Took 10 mins just to tell the station personnel that I'd left my bag on the previous train and only had 2 hours left for my flight so I can't wait at the station for its return journey. Eventually they understood and called the staff to stop and search the train ahead. But I'm pretty sure they searched the rapid one and not the one before it, so they found nothing.

And since the train line company changes to Keikyu line at Sengakuji, they can't call them and ask (why????!!!) -.-

I take the train to Haneda, get to international departures, and the 3 people there know less than minimal English. We communicated for 40 mins using Google translate and end result was:
1. I go to last stop 1 on return journey 1 hour (1 way) to get it back and miss my flight.
2. I leave and don't get my bag back. They won't do international delivery and I can only call them via telephone.. They can't email me when they find it.

After over a month in Japan, worst experience I've ever had of language barrier which shouldn't exist at major stations in an international area. I knew more Japanese than they English. And I don't know much Japanese....

TL:DR:
Left bag on Asakusa Like from Nigashi-Nihonbashi to Haneda International.
Couldn't get it back on time before my flight so now I'm out if the country.
How do I check if it was found and then how can I get it back?

This happened yesterday (29th July).

Kindest Regards to who can help solve this
by Asfandyar (guest)  

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/7/31 06:54
Sorry for what happened.

For anyone to be able to help you, that person needs some details like the description of the bag, approximate time you lost it, your name and contact information, etc., which I do not recommend you post here on the public forum. Could you sign up and come back as a member at least do that someone can contact you offline.

The usual procedure seems to be that any item left on the train will be collected at the end of the day, kept at the railway company's lost and found center for a while (then later transferred to local police lost and found center) and people who lost an item can call in to check. If the item is found, the person goes there to pick it up with their ID; the railway company will help ship it within Japan at cost, but so far have never heard of any that ships overseas. You would need the help of someone in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/7/31 12:45
After over a month in Japan, worst experience I've ever had of language barrier which shouldn't exist at major stations in an international area. I knew more Japanese than they English. And I don't know much Japanese....

The truth is that in Japan, people speak Japanese and not English. It does not matter how many people tell you you can travel around Japan easily "because everyone speaks English" because it is not true. Your expectation is unrealistic.

As for your lost bag - that is what travel insurance is for.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/8/1 12:56
Easy to complain if you are responsible for your own stuff.
If you go to Spain or go to China mainland you will found out the same difficulties.
Language is always a challenge but you should have be more careful
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/8/10 03:29
If it makes you feel better, I did the same but it was my $1,500 laptop.
by KGhaleon rate this post as useful

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/8/10 04:25
You should see it from the positive side, from all the bad things that can happen in 1 month, if this is the worst, you should be happy.

Shooting and egyptian beaches, in Turkey Airport you had Tourist with guns storming in, in Colombia you get kidnapped.

Seriously you could have broken a bone, or get a permanent disease that never gets away.

Do you know that in Africa people get worms inside their Body that forever ruin their limbs?

In China mine worker, die slow death because of black lung and no1 can ever help them.

Consider yourself lucky, from all the bad stuff that you could have experienced you only lost your baggage and only because your own fault.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/8/10 04:28
Or did you hear about the chinese tourist in Korea, who died because the beauty doctor was a fake doctor. Sorry for giving this nonsense reply, but seriously you should always remember what bad could have happened, and how small and laughable your tiny problem is in the great sheme of things
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Left a bag in train omw to outward flight 2017/8/10 08:48
@KGhaleon

I feel better if it is just a laptop. It is not the end of the world.
If the laptop was that important you would be more careful.
I have lost also things which are expensive, but it was my fault and NOT someone else.

Just try to talk with your insurance if you have one.

So materialized world we live in.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread