Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/8 17:10
I met my partner in Tokyo and have since then returned to London. We are hoping for him to come here but are looking for an indication of the kind of jobs he can expect to find.

His English is good, I would say mid/low intermediate level. And will of course improve upon practicing here.

Is there a Japanese community that can help support us? Or what kind of work is open to him? Has any one been in this position? What did you do?

I'm so grateful for any advice/ shared experience.

Thank you :)
by BJTA  

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/8 23:17
I would definetly look for the Japanese community where you live, they should know best and have similar experience.

Funny im also thinking about moving, i cannot make up my mind if i go to England or go to a Japanese language School for a year in Japan.
by Kenshiro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/8 23:22
I have a mild form of dyslexia so i actually overlooked that you said Japanese community, but in a big place as London they probably have one.

But you should know better what Jobs to expext, just speaking intermediate level english is a vague discription, but many immigrants come to London and have all kind of Jobs. I do now know what Jobs you expect or deem necessary, but at the very least he can become cab driver, or open a little shop.

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/8 23:30
Thanks for your quick and informative reply!
by BJTA rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/9 01:53
Wish i could help you more, best of luck to you and your partner. Hope everything will turn out fine.

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/10 14:56
When we used to live in London (some years ago), there definitely was some Japanese community in London, newsletters available and message board at one of the bookstores, even a friendship club, and even a recruitment agency for Japanese nationals there (for positions requiring Japanese/Japan knowledge). What kind of career has he had so far?

When I (Japanese national) was there in London, I was a student for a while, then taught the Japanese language to English speakers (I have been trained as a Japanese language teacher).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/10 17:43
The best place to start looking is always the Embassy.
http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/dantailist.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/10 22:12
Yes definetly a big international city like London should really have a big Japanese community. The Newsletters are a great idea. Even in small Dusseldorf, Germany where they have a Japanese community you find Japanese Newsletter with job postings. I even saw one from Nintendo.

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/11 00:21
And obviously embassy is also pretty good, but in my Country when i visited an embassy it took forever to get somebody and get something done. But maybe Japanese embassies are different.

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/13 07:15
Thank you everyone for your responses, it's made me hopeful.
He has a past career in operation trade business (mostly sales and marketing in Japan). So coming here will probably be something far different and new. We've both been looking for possible job opportunities. But I feel reassured knowing he will find some work, cause it's a big risk to make the move!

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/13 09:21
By the way, I suppose I should have written "The best place to start looking is always the Embassy's official website".

I hope he can find a job at a Japanese trade company's London branch. But venturing into something new is always interesting too. Good luck!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/14 19:28
If he's young enough to fall into the Working Holiday Visa bracket, that might help but getting a Work Visa is likely to be the single biggest hurdle.
by WHV (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/14 19:44
Yeahhh he falls into the age limit of working holiday visa.

When I moved to Tokyo I had a job secured beforehand but that's not the case this time round for him, so I guess it felt a bit like unchartered waters. I'll support him ofcourse but he desperately wants to work and be self sufficient soon after getting here.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions/ advice. :)

Re: Moving from Japan to the UK 2017/8/14 20:41
Well i guess my definetion of partner is slight off, but i thought that it would mean that he would get a visa anyway because of you.

reply to this thread