Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jaa vs. Soushitara 2017/8/10 08:17
じゃあ V そうしたら - to me these both seem to mean (then). I assume there is a difference can someone maybe please help me and explain how to use them? I know also I can use では which i gather is a more formal verison of じゃあ。

If I want to say for example.

. Then..you should go.
. Then...Why dont we do this.
. Then..maybe its a dog!

Am I able to use both?

Thank you,

David
by dcd  

Re: Jaa vs. Soushitara 2017/8/12 03:10
Maybe...

Both of them can be translated "then" as you said.
"じゃあ" is used when the topic is changed.
"そうしたら" is used when it will follow the previous sentence. It is like cause and effect.

For example, 「そのはなしは おわりだよ。じゃあ、つぎの はなしをしよう。」
「わたしは かのじょを おどろかせようとした。そうしたら、かのじょは おこってしまった。」
The topic should be finished. Then, let's talk about the next topic.
I tried to surprise her. Then, she got angry.
by lisa39 rate this post as useful

Re: Jaa vs. Soushitara 2017/8/13 13:13
The literal meaning (which is not the same thing as the translation) of そうしたら should be clear.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Jaa vs. Soushitara 2017/8/14 01:39
"Jaa" is "then" and "sositara is "and then". "jaa" is more informal than "soshitara" and say "soshitara" . When you say "sousitara" with "Sou" stressed, it emphasizes what comes next (with surprised or, unexpected outcome).
If you mean "縺倥c縺, 縺昴≧縺励◆繧" meaning "Well, then, do so", only "soushitara" coming from "so+do".
Also, you say "jaa" informally or "soredewa" politely meaning "Well, then." when you depart instead of saying "Good bye" or "See you".

by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Jaa vs. Soushitara 2017/8/16 23:36
Thank you for the replies.
by dcd rate this post as useful

reply to this thread