Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mastercard unembossed debit card in Japan 2017/8/11 18:27
Hello!

I've got a one year scholarship to Japan starting this September, and I've always been warned about being careful with the credit and debit card types one would bring to Japan.
I had a Maestro debit card, which as far as I (and some of my friends told me) know that does not work in Japan. I have requested a new embossed Mastercard, but for some reason I got an unembossed debit card.
Its pretty new as far as I can tell, has PayPass function, a CVC code etc, and the unembossed digits are somewhat deeper, so its not printed like on a normal card.

Do you think I could use this for cash withdrewal from various ATMs? I'll be based around Tokyo.

Thanks for your kind answer.
by Silgrond  

Re: Mastercard unembossed debit card in Japan 2017/8/12 09:07
Somewhat confusing - since embossing means nothing to ATM machines, but rather is the raised letters that can be used for manual `zip-zap` merchant paper drafts.

To work in ATMs, a magnetic stripe is needed, and many, if not most, ATMs in Japan now also support the ISO standard magnetic encoding.

Either MasterCard, or your issuing bank, can confirm where ISO-capable ATMs are located.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mastercard unembossed debit card in Japan 2017/8/12 23:59
Don't know what unembossed means exactly but I have a Mastercard debit card with a chip from a US bank. It does not work in the Post Office but it is fine at 7 Eleven....hope that's helpful....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread