Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sangokaku plant 2017/8/12 18:03
I am in Tokyo for two weeks and would like to buy a small coral maple (sangokaku) plant. If you can point me to shops or online stores I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
by Amitava (guest)  

Re: Sangokaku plant 2017/8/12 23:47
In what country do you live? Sango kaku is a very common Acer, and is available in many places throughout the world. You may have difficulty bringing it back to your own country (import regulations). I have a large Sango kaku in my backyard (purchased here in the USA).

Very beautiful plant in the winter!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Sangokaku plant 2017/8/12 23:50
I can't answer your question but please check if the country where you want to bring this plant allows you to bring plants in. Some countries (including Japan) are very restrictive on plant imports because of the potential ecological impact.
Your country might be more relaxed about it but you will not want to loose your beloved plant at immigration.

Enjoy your travel to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Sangokaku plant 2017/8/13 14:06
I can take it to India. Not a problem. Would you know where in Tokyo I can get a small plant?
by Not a problem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sangokaku plant 2017/8/13 20:21
Have you checked if you can take it out of Japan.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sangokaku plant 2017/8/13 21:28
Since it is one of the more popular Momiji, it should be easy to find in Tokyo, as long as you can find a Garden Store. But such nurseries are difficult to find in central Tokyo. In my travels to Japan, I don't recall seeing any such stores in urban areas.

I did find this plant on Rakuten:

https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/サンゴカク/

I also found it on India's Amazon website, but out of stock.

Since they're grafted and not grown from seed, you'll need to purchase at least a 30 cm plant to ensure viability.

Here is one large nursery in Yokohama, if you're willing to go out of the way a bit.

http://www.sakataseed.co.jp/gardencenter/access/index.html

Dale

by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Sangokaku plant 2017/8/13 21:50
Thanks a ton Dale. Really appreciate your help. Yes Amazon India would have been ideal but... I'll try and make it to Yokohama.
by Amitava (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread