Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

March 2018 - Complete Itenerary 2017/8/30 19:59
Hey there...

I'm going to Japan on the last week of March (arrive at Tokyo - 24th March evening - and leave at 9th April lunch time). Because its my first time in Japan I want to see most things that I can. I need some advice from people that already have been there and can advice me on which one its the better way and if i should change dates or cities.

24/03 - Tokyo - just go to hotel and rest
25/03 - Tokyo
26/03 - Tokyo
27/03 - Tokyo
28/03 - Nikko (back to Tokyo at the same day)
29/03 - Morning train to Takayama and spend the whole day there (sleep there)
30/03 - Breakfast in Takayama and them take the morning bus to Shirakawa
30/03 - Take the last bus from Shirakawa to Kanazawa
31/03 - Kanazawa
01/04 - Kanazawa
02/04 - Morning train to Kyoto
03-/04 - Kyoto
04/04 - Kyoto
05/04 - Osaka
06/04 - Kara
07/04 - Fuji
08/04 - Fuji
09/04 - Morning train to Tokyo and Airport

Is that a good itenerary or I will be rushing through the cities?
Should I add a day in Koyasan and ignore Takayama?
Between Takayama and Kanazawa, should I choose just one of them? a lot of people told me that Kyoto is similar to Kanazawa but in big version
It's one day enough in Osaka or should i just do Kyoto and Nara? So maybe I can add one of the day to Koyasan
Any recomendation where to stay in Fuji? I would like to take good pictures and rest in some hot springs with a nice view

I know I look a little bit confused but I'm scare that after 5 days I will be tired of temples so I would like to have a real Japonese trip with tradicional and beautiful sights and food/drinks. I would like to have some advices from people that have been there and which places from all of the cities they think were the best.

thanks a lot guys :)
by Mariana Rico (guest)  

Re: March 2018 - Complete Itenerary 2017/8/31 11:14
There are so much to see with only so much time, so rushing at times is inevitable. Overall, it's a good itinerary.

Personally, I would shorten one night in Kanazawa and add that night in Kyoto. Kanazawa is not that big.

You don't have to move to Osaka and Nara, you can stay in Kyoto and visit those places as day trips. And if you think you've seen enough temples, then make two day trips to Osaka. But I have a feeling that you will want to see more of Kyoto.

by BSR (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: March 2018 - Complete Itenerary 2017/8/31 19:22
I had a similar trip to yours (minus Nikko and Fuji) with a 16-night stay. Female, went solo and stayed primarily in hotels mostly budget from mid to late April. Tokyo (2) - Kyoto (6) - Takayama (1) - Kanazawa (2) - Tokyo (5). With day trips to Hiroshima/Miyajima, Nara and Osaka (Universal Studios) from Kyoto. Left Takayama before 8:30 for Shirakawago (about 3 hr visit). Left Shirakawago right before 12:30p and in Kanazawa just after 1:30p.

Before you start changing your itinerary around, make a list of the places you want to see or do in each city. What site(s) is priority and work from there. Check the opening and closing. Most museums are closed on Mondays. I learned that on my trip in April. I wanted to go to the 21st Century Contemporary Museum in Kanazawa. My days there was a Sunday and Monday. I completely forgot about it on Sunday. Some Temples and Shrines are open all day.

A lot of places there don't open early. So you need to do some research and see if what time certain places open so you can maximize your day. Also, need to plan/think about transportation logistics. Which type of transportation you will take from point A to point B and so on. And how long does it take? This goes for both inner city site seeing and from city to city. How are you traveling from one city to the next? Bus, Ltd Exp Train, Shinkansen, etc. When should you travel? I'm an early morning person so I travel in the morning (since most places are still closed anyway). I take one of the early Shinkansen that departs between 6:30-7:30 am and I arrive 2-3 hrs later.

So just make a rough itinerary. Some say don't just go with the flow and wing it. But since you said you want to see most things that you can you'll need to have some sort of list. You can figure out as the day goes on. By having some sort of list on what to see/do in each city, you then can figure out if you should take away or add a day in each location.

No need to change hotels to Osaka and Nara. You can do it as a day trip. Maybe for Nara if you want and if you want late night life then it's up to you for Osaka. Just remember that checking in and out of hotels will be a hassle. Also the times of check in and out.

Use takkyubin (luggage forwarding) from big city to big city. Just have a smaller bag with you for several days so you won't be burden with luggage while traveling on train and at station. Cost depending on size, weight and destination (I paid between 1,200-2,300yen). Hotel personnel will help you fill out the forms. Just make sure you have all your hotel info with you when doing it. Google takkyubin or check it on this site for info.

I spaced out my Temples/Shrines. One day was for that. Next day I did gardens and whatever non-Temple/Shrine. Next day shopping, views, etc. Then back to Temples/Shrines and so on.
by hibell77 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread