Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shiromuku alike (Iromuji/Homongi) 2017/8/31 23:36
Hello there, seeking advise from Japanese/Traveler expertise for related matters:

Me and my fiance visited Japan twice within only 6 months period apart and fell in love instantly with everything. So then we decided to plan another trip for a pre-wedding photoshoot at Kyoto on January 2018 and thinking to have Shiromuku kimono rental, but as I learned from most kimono rental websites in Kyoto the price is quite costly (starting from JPY 100,000/couple which equal to three nights at Takaragawa Onsen *cry*).

We're thinking if it's possible to rent kimonos such as Iromuji or Homongi Kimono that actually ensembles Shiromuku Kimono (all white).

Please let us know if it's possible, any inputs will be highly appreciated!

Regards,
by misscataleya  

Re: Shiromuku alike (Iromuji/Homongi) 2017/9/1 15:08
Iromuji are one-color kimono, it's true, but I've never seen or heard of a white one. Very pale blue, yes; cream or gold, yes; white? Nope. Houmongi always have a pattern; you're not going to find an all-white one there, either. Also, the wedding kimono are long-sleeved furisode style, and iromuji and houmongi are not.

When you think on it, the 10man price isn't that bad, as most should include the dressing, hair, and makeup in a full set as well. But if you go to a store, they will have a range of prices depending on which uchikake you choose. The one I chose was around that price, but there were others less and more expensive. The wig was another 2man I think, plus my husband's set which was much cheaper at 1man, but we chose to have the family mon put on it, which drove the cost up. Since I got the wig I didn't have hair done, but if I hadn't done the wig it was included in the set. This was all in Tokyo, btw.

Another option is buying your own on a site like Ichiroya. Then you'd have to get the whole set usually in pieces, plus find a dresser... might be more trouble than it's worth to save a bit of money, but it's an option.

Another option is to forego the white altogether and go for a colored furisode without an uchikake over it. You'll still need to pay for the dressing, but to rent would probably be cheaper, or you could again buy and bring your own.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Shiromuku alike (Iromuji/Homongi) 2017/9/1 15:39
The quickest Google search tells me that you can rent for less than 46000 yen per couple/4-5 days/free delivery.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E5%9B%9B%E5%9B%BD+%E7%99%BD%E7%84%A...
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread