Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Entering Japan with a blank contract? 2017/9/6 03:07
I guess I'm just not sure what is really common practice.

I got a job offer from a company that allowed me to sign a job offer but not a contract. They want me to hold on to the blank contract and wait to sign it until I arrive. Kind of makes me feel like they plan on adjusting the pay or changing something about housing or... it just seems to fishy to me. Is this normal?

Thanks.
by nascar2  

Re: Entering Japan with a blank contract? 2017/9/6 13:24
When I was employed by a BOE through the JET Programme, I too was given a copy of the contract but actually signed it once I arrived in Japan. I'm not sure why, but it COULD be that once you sign you are officially an employee, so they want you to sign to start that on a certain date, or they're worried about an accident happening on your way over and they'd have to cover you, or something like that. I'm not sure though... have you asked them directly about it?

If you have a copy of the contract already, I doubt they'd change it, but you could always compare once you arrive.

I'd also do a google search on the company and read reviews to make sure they're legit, or to find if anyone has had a similar experience. There are definitely fraudulent companies out there, so it doesn't hurt to be careful!

by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan with a blank contract? 2017/9/6 13:46
If the offer and the contract state the same conditions (salary, days off, etc.) can it be that they are not sure of the starting date that they want to have the contract signed when you arrive and can actually start?
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread