Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 53

1 2 3
next

Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/13 20:52
Hi

This is the first Iphone I will consider buying, I have a few question about buy the Iphone X in Japan.

If i'm to purchase purchase the Iphone X, it will be around December 6th to the 16th, this is the duration of my visit to Japan before I return back to Hong Kong. Are people in Japan just as crazy about buying a Iphone in Japan just like those from the US or other countries, like people waiting outside the apple stores for days or hours just to get one.

Is is likely for me to get one during my visit as a walk in customer, or is it still those high demanding period.

Are tax free excluded for Iphones purchase from the apple store, I know they are from consignment corners in stores like BIC Cameras etc.

Iphones sold from Japan's apple shop, are they sim unlocked.

Do I iphone have international warranty.

Thanks, I know the phone isn't out yet, but going from peoples past experiences, may be some of the answers can be answered.
by kms899  

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/14 11:54
iPhones include a lot of bands. You just need to know the model available in Japan and then google the bands used in each country to look for a match to make sure it works in your country. Since Iphone X is not released this months it is not mentioned on the site

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-8-iphone-8-plus

Iphone in the apple store are unlocked.
Buying at other stores often are locked to Japanese providers.

by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/14 19:59
Hi Thanks for the reply, with a bit of searching I have found the model number for Hong Kong Version is A1865 and Japan version is A1902, apparently the Japanese version has all the band of the Hong Kong version, and a few more extra's, I just need to know with a short time frame of the released date and when i'm in Japan, will there be a great demand, that will stock be a shortage, and will there be a waiting list.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/15 17:45
As far that i know, iphone doesn't have int.warranty.
ie.if you buy it in Singapore, you have to take it back / send it to Singapore for warranty claim.
Also, i dont think the price for iphone is cheaper in Jpn compare to HK.

CMIIW
by IvanChand rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/15 20:06
Thanks for the information, I not sure about the warranty, but iphones in Japan is cheaper, then you get tax off if i'm correct, and the phones has more bands. since i'm on a visit to Japan in december, i was just wondering if I can pick one up, if in Hong Kong it's like a war zone trying to get a iphone.

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/20 11:51
i planned on getting one as well. only cons is the camera shutter sound cant be turn off
as for huge crowd demand, i guess we wont know until then

i wonder if Yodobashi sells unlock iPhones. If yes, I think it would be a better deal since Visa card gives a 5% discount. On the other hand, buying from an official Apple Store may give you the International Warranty that you need.
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/20 13:09
About the signal, yes, you should wait until iPhone X is listed in the link posted above and make sure to buy a model that works properly with the wireless range used by the providers of your country, otherwise your LTE/4G might not work properly.

iPhones sold at Apple Retail Stores come unlocked, but be sure to confirm this info with the employees, anyway.

Apple Warranty covers you anywhere in the world, except in a few countries where the laws prohibit certain models from entering their territory. As far as I'm aware, there are some restrictions in Brazil, China (Hong Kong not included) and the Emirates. You should be fine if you buy a model that has your country listed in the LTE page.

Source: Apple employee
by Edo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/20 22:54
Thanks for the information, I have checked, the Japanese version has all the bands for Hong Kong use, they also have a few more extra bands.

I just think I won't be able to get one early December due to limited stock, so i'll probably have to get one from Hong Kong once I return.

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/21 11:55
I am also thinking of getting one in Japan. but there'll be huge demand. I'll be there around the launch period as well. probably a store outside the main cities or outskirts may have stocks left. and many chain stores do have a supply network between their stores and may accomodate orders if willing to wait a day or 2 and if their other stores have remaining stock.
by CP (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/21 20:24
If i'm correct iphone's sold in chain store must include a contract, and they are sim locked, only the apple store have unlocked iphone's, it's probably unlikely to get one around the launched date if you are not queueing days before.

Even i'm not confident in gettting one during my visit to Japan on 6th December to 16th december.

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/22 07:17
Be aware that on iphones sold in japan the camera shutter sound cannot be turned off. Ever. Not in silent mode, not with apps, not with a reset or restore. (it's also set to a very high volume). There's a law about it because people where taking underskirt pictures of girls on the subway. I could not believe the apple employee.
Bought one in Tokyo last year and returned it the day after.
by Chiara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/22 11:14
Apple has international warranty also for Iphone, just be careful with the extra costs which may be asked.

Service options, parts availability and response times may vary according to country. You may be responsible for shipping and handling charges if the Apple Product cannot be serviced in the country it is in. If you seek service in a country that is not the original country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges. Where international service is available, Apple may repair or replace Apple Products and parts with comparable Apple Product and parts that comply with local standards.

https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ios-warranty-document-us...
by justmyday (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/25 20:31
Thanks to all who have provided me with all the neccessary information, I have decided not to get the Iphone X, found some update information which made me not to consider the iphone X, but will consider the iphone 8, and it's readly available in Hong Kong, nothing like the iphone 7 where everyone was fighting over for prebooking online and queuing at store front.

Thanks

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/30 09:52
what made you change your mind about iPhone X vs 8?
by why (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/9/30 20:30
Mainly three reasons, I stayed away from samsung because I hate those amoled display, too many case of burn it display, and the new display used on the iphone X is a OLED made by samsung. second is the new design of the display, probably affect the usablity of apps and displaying video, and last, but not really important is the price, as this is my first iphone paying something like USD 1250 for a phone seems over the top.

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/10/1 06:46
i understand your point of view, but still think you should head up to the x; the 8 is a waste of money; and get it in japan for sure, best of best. do not discourage yourself and follow my word. good luck

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/10/1 07:40
I have asked, iPhone purchase will only be accepted for warranty in the country of purchased, so it's not international warranty, but there are exception, if you are lucky they might accept it out of good will.

I had a careful look at the iPhone 8, I do kind of liking it.

Thanks

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/10/1 08:32
let me know when you have purchased it, which model, which color, which memory, and where; as soon as possible as i want to buy the exact same one. you seem pretty sure about yourself. good luck again

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/10/1 09:30
I will see if I get it today in one of hong kong apple store, iphone 8 (small one as I don't like big phones) gold colour with 256GB, cost is HKD 7288, I should be able to get some discount, but not sure how much.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a Iphone X in Japan 2017/10/1 18:55
good choice, a1863, gold, 256 gb; in japan is about 6650 hkd, no much difference. i will get the same one too. i hope you can get yours today. wish you luck at the apple store

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 53

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread