Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/16 23:01
Hello! Please note: this question is ***NOT*** about how to get a job, or what kind of job I can get, when I don't have a degree or work experience. I have already have found possible jobs that I can do, and have many local Japanese contacts who are helping me as well. So please don't turn the topic into "nobody will hire you", it isn't true, and is irrelevant to my question. (I'm sorry to talk so strictly, I don't want the topic to become derailed since I really hope to find answers.)

I want to know more about how the working visa functions in Japan, for me as a housewife coming there on a dependant visa. I am going to Japan soon, and I am a dependant on my husband. I plan to work while I am there to help cover our living expenses. I would want to change my dependant visa to a working visa if it became possible, after finding a proper job. (First and foremost I will look for part-time jobs when I arrive, within the limits allowed to a dependant after applying for permission to do part-time work).

I am confused about the possible time that I find a "proper job", any job that is willing to hire me on a more official and longer-term basis than the average part-time job. I find a lot of mixed information that goes against each other online.

If I find a company that is ready to hire me for a proper job, can I change my dependant visa to a working visa while staying with my husband in Japan? Do I have to contact an embassy in my home country, or leave the country, or do you apply to change your visa status and stay right where you are in Japan while you wait for it to be processed?

My most pressing concern:
Will the working visa application be accepted when a company has stated that they are ready to hire me? Is there a likelihood that a working visa will be rejected even if a company is completely ready to hire me? (I am wondering due to the fact that I lack professional experience and a degree, if they will reject a working visa application. Even though, clearly, if a company would be ready to hire me, they would have decided that my "undocumented" skill level is high enough.)

(To clarify my situation, I have been an unemployed housewife in my home country, after quitting my university studies before finishing a degree. I quit studying because of me and my husband's difficult personal life situation, that I rather not talk about in detail. I hope you can understand. My undocumented skillset includes knowing several languages and a lot of various computer work, as well as cooking, cleaning, etc, which is the part-time work I will look for in the beginning.)
by June (guest)  

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/17 09:53
Will the working visa application be accepted when a company has stated that they are ready to hire me?

No.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/17 10:47
Even if a company here is interested in hiring you, you still need to meet immigration's criteria for a work visa, which may be a degree or many years of work experience in the relevant field you are seeking to work in in Japan.
You do not need to leave Japan for the change in resident status (if you qualify).
by .......... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/17 10:48
If I find a company that is ready to hire me for a proper job, can I change my dependant visa to a working visa while staying with my husband in Japan?

Yes, you can change your resident status via immigration without needing to leave Japan.

Is there a likelihood that a working visa will be rejected even if a company is completely ready to hire me?

Yes, there is always that possibility. Immigration has the final say, and no one on this forum can predict what they'll do with any application. The only thing you can do is submit and try.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/18 07:27
Working visas are usually granted to high skilled individuals (and the requirements of degree/experience are required). The low skilled jobs (and they pay badly too) like domestic help are sometimes filled under special categories of the employer visa (personal). But that doesn't seem to apply for larger companies.

Also, if you did manage to apply and accepted (assume 4-6 weeks), if you quit or lose that job, you also lose your right to reside unless you get another job in the same category - you don't revert back to spouse/dependent.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/18 07:57
you don't revert back to spouse/dependent.

What's stopping you from chznging back?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/18 09:22
In order for you/employer to proceed with work visa application, your employer need to offer you employment with actual contract signed.

If you are officially hired, then employer can proceed with application to change your status from dependent to working. As long as you and your employer comply with immigration requirement possibility of approval is high. However final decision is up to immigration. No one can guarantee the success.

Due note that during the approval process you are not allow to start working. Some employer may insist you start working but that is illegal.

As mentioned, working visa is only applicable to certain type of employment see below
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html

Also note that once you change your status, you will not be revert back automatically back to your original status if your status expired/change, you need to re-apply again from start.
by … (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change to work visa w/o degree & experience 2017/9/18 21:17
What's stopping you from changing back?

Actually nothing, I was pointing out it wasn't an automatic reversion. I could have made that clearer. But there is the hassle and time delay (and the possibility of it being denied).

And then, of course, they would do the whole work visa again when they get another/different job.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread